CLeth77

Good morning all, 

First time posting on here. I'm not new to fishing but haven't spent a lot of time over the years fishing much but now I have more time on my hands I'm keen to get out a bit and try put some fish in the freezer and generally get out in the fresh air. I'm based on the Darling Downs and am keen to head down to the Texas/Bonshaw area to chase Yellowbelly and Cod. I've read a few older posts on here but am chasing some more advice. I don't own a boat or a yak currently but am looking to buy a yak soon so I can fish the dams around here. In saying that are there enough land based spots down that way or am I better off to wait till I get a kayak? It's 1.5hrs from where I am so I don't want to drive all that way and find no where to fish. TIA.

Cheers,

Cameron.

G'day Cameron and welcome to the AFO forum.

We used to get out there a bit when the old man lived at Texas, but haven't been for a few years. The fishing wasn't great to be honest, with the odd small cod around that 50/55cm mark on lures or bait (crayfish). Having said that, the local fishermen in the know would get the bigger versions, usually at night. You can fish the river landbased easily enough around Texas as it's not very wide. Yellowbelly are rarer than cod - I never saw one or heard of one in the 10 yearsor so I went there.

Bonshaw weir area might be a bit more difficult landbased as it widens up quite a bit. Coming from Texas, if you turn left at the Bonshaw shop/servo and have an explore in there you will come across some good looking water that would be worth a try. Cross the river to get to the best looking bits. We didn't get time to fish there but it does look promising. The river is narrower and could easily be fished from land.

The best spot in the area for me was Coolmunda Dam. You will need your yak to get to the spots here. Both yellowbelly and cod to be caught. If you have a sounder you will be able to locate the old creek bed just out from the ramp. Both cod and yellas along that.

If you head across the dam and fish the weed beds along the eastern side you will get yellas. Then down at the trees at the southern end you will find more yellas amongst them - you just need to find the depth that they are sitting at, usually 12-14 feet, but could be different on a given day.

In summary, it could be a long drive to come home with nothing landbased from the river, but if you wait for your yak you are in with a good chance at the dam.

Good luck and let us know how you go.

1 hour ago, ellicat said:

G'day Cameron and welcome to the AFO forum.

We used to get out there a bit when the old man lived at Texas, but haven't been for a few years. The fishing wasn't great to be honest, with the odd small cod around that 50/55cm mark on lures or bait (crayfish). Having said that, the local fishermen in the know would get the bigger versions, usually at night. You can fish the river landbased easily enough around Texas as it's not very wide. Yellowbelly are rarer than cod - I never saw one or heard of one in the 10 yearsor so I went there.

Bonshaw weir area might be a bit more difficult landbased as it widens up quite a bit. Coming from Texas, if you turn left at the Bonshaw shop/servo and have an explore in there you will come across some good looking water that would be worth a try. Cross the river to get to the best looking bits. We didn't get time to fish there but it does look promising. The river is narrower and could easily be fished from land.

The best spot in the area for me was Coolmunda Dam. You will need your yak to get to the spots here. Both yellowbelly and cod to be caught. If you have a sounder you will be able to locate the old creek bed just out from the ramp. Both cod and yellas along that.

If you head across the dam and fish the weed beds along the eastern side you will get yellas. Then down at the trees at the southern end you will find more yellas amongst them - you just need to find the depth that they are sitting at, usually 12-14 feet, but could be different on a given day.

In summary, it could be a long drive to come home with nothing landbased from the river, but if you wait for your yak you are in with a good chance at the dam.

Good luck and let us know how you go.

Thank you kindly for the reply mate. That's the sort of info I was looking for. I will probably go down for a look around anyway just to get out of the house so I'll give those spots a go. I spent a couple of holidays there as a kid because my Aunt and Uncle used to own the pub over 30yrs ago, so it will be good to see if it triggers any memories. 

As far as Coolmunda goes the wife and I went for a drive for a look a couple of weeks ago and I soon discovered without a yak or boat there's not much on offer. It wasn't a wasted trip though as I got to blow the dust off my baitcaster and make sure it still worked after not being used for at least 6yrs haha I'll definitely have to submit an application to the Hon. Minister for War and Finance for funding for a Kayak and a bit of gear as I'd like to fish Coolmunda, Leslie, Cressbrook and hopefully Cooby if they open it again. 

Thanks again.  

10 hours ago, CLeth77 said:

Good morning all, 

First time posting on here. I'm not new to fishing but haven't spent a lot of time over the years fishing much but now I have more time on my hands I'm keen to get out a bit and try put some fish in the freezer and generally get out in the fresh air. I'm based on the Darling Downs and am keen to head down to the Texas/Bonshaw area to chase Yellowbelly and Cod. I've read a few older posts on here but am chasing some more advice. I don't own a boat or a yak currently but am looking to buy a yak soon so I can fish the dams around here. In saying that are there enough land based spots down that way or am I better off to wait till I get a kayak? It's 1.5hrs from where I am so I don't want to drive all that way and find no where to fish. TIA.

Cheers,

Cameron.

Hi Cameron

Welcome to the forum! I don't have any knowledge of fishing in Texas, though here are some articles that may help - 

http://www.sweetwaterfishing.com.au/Forum/index.php?topic=6767.0

https://www.daf.qld.gov.au/rsa/sips-dams-and-weirs/profile?dam=bonshaw-weir

And the fishing club -

https://m.facebook.com/Texas-Qld-Fishing-Restocking-Club-Inc-1457076284522590/

Cheers Hamish

5 minutes ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hi Cameron

Welcome to the forum! I don't have any knowledge of fishing in Texas, though here are some articles that may help - 

http://www.sweetwaterfishing.com.au/Forum/index.php?topic=6767.0

https://www.daf.qld.gov.au/rsa/sips-dams-and-weirs/profile?dam=bonshaw-weir

And the fishing club -

https://m.facebook.com/Texas-Qld-Fishing-Restocking-Club-Inc-1457076284522590/

Cheers Hamish

G'day Hamish, 

Thanks for the links mate. I've had a look at that forum post before but it was from 8yrs ago so I don't know if much has changed but you'd think with restocking programs it should only get better? I definitely will have a look at the Bonshaw weir while I'm down there. Be better if I could get down south of the border into granite country but wouldn't be allowed back into the state haha

Thanks again mate 

11 minutes ago, CLeth77 said:

you'd think with restocking programs it should only get better?

Going back a few years, they think they may have over-stocked the rivers in the area which effectively stunts their growth rate due to lack of food for the numbers released. Makes sense to me, but I'm not sure what the current thinking is.

11 hours ago, ellicat said:

Going back a few years, they think they may have over-stocked the rivers in the area which effectively stunts their growth rate due to lack of food for the numbers released. Makes sense to me, but I'm not sure what the current thinking is.

I know very little about fish ecology but you'd think with Cod being not overly fussy eaters it would be fairly self regulatory population wise, unless of course there wasn't many mature fish there to begin with. Might have to do a bit of reading up on this.  

19 hours ago, ellicat said:

When you go, let us know how you went. Might inspire me to get back out there.

Roger mate, will do.

I just got some new spinnerbaits in the mail and raided the $5 lure bin at Anaconda the other day so I have a variety of baits to throw at anything that might be there. Probably take some cheese/corn/bread too. Will be enough to keep me entertained. 

36 minutes ago, ellicat said:

Cheers.

There's usually plenty of shrimp about if you have some mesh traps.

I haven't got any at the moment, matter a fact I don't even have any yabby nets at the moment either haha Might have to grab one or two next time I go into town.  

On a side note. Spoke to wife about tinny vs kayak debate and am going to head down the kayak road. Wife said she'd get bored in a tinny (doesn't have the patience to fish) and once she's had her back surgery we'll get her one too so she can paddle around with me. 

2 hours ago, ellicat said:

Perfect result with the wife. It should be good to strengthen her stomach and back muscles which sounds like it will be ideal. Win win.

While you're in town maybe check out a 12V aerator for your shrimp bucket - they're usually around $20 and well worth it imo.

The fitness will definitely help us both haha

I'll have a look at the terrain but I was planning on walking the banks a bit and I think the river is pretty shallow in places so the plan was to walk where I can with backpack but if no luck doing that I'd plonk some bait in near the weirs. The no border restrictions now will help at Bonshaw weir by the look of it. Be good to get down there for a look but also going to fish Leslie dam maybe next week if I can.  

On 29/01/2022 at 10:44 AM, CLeth77 said:

The fitness will definitely help us both haha

I'll have a look at the terrain but I was planning on walking the banks a bit and I think the river is pretty shallow in places so the plan was to walk where I can with backpack but if no luck doing that I'd plonk some bait in near the weirs. The no border restrictions now will help at Bonshaw weir by the look of it. Be good to get down there for a look but also going to fish Leslie dam maybe next week if I can.  

Good luck mate. I look forward to seeing your results. Its a great part of the world 🙂