Offshore fishing kayak/catamaran

ubnt

Hi friends,

I have been landbased fishing for the last two years in Brisbane and getting a bit bored by what can be caught onshore.

I was wondering if anyone could give insights on kayaking/or sailing to Moreton Island from Sandgate for fishing? 

I am not so keen on just fishing near the shore, but traveling a bit further. However, I am not quite sure if a fishing kayak or Hobie adventure island can handle the trip on a not so calm day. 

I cannot afford a powerboat, therefore I prefer kayak.

Cheers!

On 27/01/2022 at 2:10 PM, ubnt said:

Hi friends,

I have been landbased fishing for the last two years in Brisbane and getting a bit bored by what can be caught onshore.

I was wondering if anyone could give insights on kayaking/or sailing to Moreton Island from Sandgate for fishing? 

I am not so keen on just fishing near the shore, but traveling a bit further. However, I am not quite sure if a fishing kayak or Hobie adventure island can handle the trip on a not so calm day. 

I cannot afford a powerboat, therefore I prefer kayak.

Cheers!

Like said above, it’s not a good idea.

The Brisbane River, Pine River, rivers/creeks/canals around the Gold Coast, Jumpinpin Islands, and areas around Wellington Point all offer good kayak fishing options.

Cheers Hamish

As for getting caught out in the surf or sloppy bay conditions, I would rather be on one of these than in a kayak as a lot of these cats can do up to 20 knots in those conditions. Personally I am not that brave but it would be nice to know that that they are much safer than a kayak in those conditions if you get caught out. A lot of cat clubs actually have sailing  competitions in those conditions.

cat in surf.JPG

I have never flipped a Cat but from what I have seen, the rigging is fine after righting it back up, new these cats are reasonably expensive but used ones seem to be quite affordable (4K to 10K). A lot of these sailers who enter comps try to get the latest designs/models, so they sell off their used ones reasonably cheaply.

Cheers

Ed.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I started kayak fishing at Green island from wellington pt. Plenty of variety to be caught there all year round from Tuskys and snaps to the occasional mac. Its a decent return paddle but for about 60% of the journey you are just following the sand bar to king island (see google maps) so you can always get out of trouble. From there I would look at hitting offshore reefs which are quite popular like palmy or brays as you should never be to far from trouble.