SUBURBS OF ORIGIN 21/22 Summer Slam RESULTS

The Mad Hughesy

39 minutes ago, Old Scaley said:

Nice work @christophagus. A nice distraction and some good fish caught despite the poor conditions that we had for most of the time the comp was running. Looking at the leaderboard and some of the reports lately, maybe next comp we drop tuna and add miscellaneous reefies so people can include grassies, tuskie etc. just a thought.

Thanks again mate. You have done well again!

agreed. keen to also drop jacks. i dont think anyone has ever entered one

On 31/01/2022 at 10:16 AM, christophagus said:

agreed. keen to also drop jacks. i dont think anyone has ever entered one

Thanks to @christophagus for organizing again this year, was a bit of fun, glad i was able to at least contribute for team north! 🙂

I think tuna should stay - they are a summer species and i'm sure if there were more fishing days available there would have been some entries in this category (i hooked 3 on Oz day but pulled hooks on all! gah!) 

I think if we look at where the "usual" competitors are fishing, i feel grassys should be a category on their own.  misc reef fish is a tricky one - eg does a 40cm moses perch beat a 42cm undersized red?  not all reef fish are created equal... 😉

43 minutes ago, Old Scaley said:

Worth thinking about how to include grassies, tuskies etc without blowing out the list of target species. Might also be good to think about whether undersize (or even oversized) fish should be eligible? Just from an optics perspective. 

the hard part with under or oversized fish is the fact that this comp is now bigger than just QLD. different rules for different states.

i feel like jacks, threadfin could be replaced with an emperor category and a parrot/tusk fish category. i mean you could have an endless list of fish categories, but that just doesn't feel right for the comp. i don't think a jack has ever been submitted and only one threadfin has even been submitted from memory. One year i just had a combined threadfin/jew category.

26 minutes ago, christophagus said:

i feel like jacks, threadfin could be replaced with an emperor category and a parrot/tusk fish category. i mean you could have an endless list of fish categories, but that just doesn't feel right for the comp. i don't think a jack has ever been submitted and only one threadfin has even been submitted from memory. One year i just had a combined threadfin/jew category

Nooo! We can't ditch threadies!

Yep, I'd combine threadies & jewies rather than eliminate - they are both caught in similar ways (so I hear ......) and are a similar size. I agree that Grassies would be worthy of their own category (or possibly an emperor or sweetlip category so that spanglies, red throat, red emperor, etc are included as options). I'd probably keep tuna in for another year too. 

On 3/2/22 at 7:49 PM, kmcrosby78 said:

Yep, I'd combine threadies & jewies rather than eliminate - they are both caught in similar ways (so I hear ......) and are a similar size. I agree that Grassies would be worthy of their own category (or possibly an emperor or sweetlip category so that spanglies, red throat, red emperor, etc are included as options). I'd probably keep tuna in for another year too. 

I concur with your thoughts KM.

On 3/2/22 at 1:47 PM, ellicat said:

Interestingly, the Qld Fishing App says that grassies Max Length is 56cm. Apart from yours, I know of one other over 60cm as well. @Andrew_P ??

That’s probably quoted from the literature, Grant’s Guide most likely. I know of bigger, high 60s even 70+  
see if I can drag out a photo or two