1 hour ago, Tuna are fish said:

This might make me sound dumb but "high stick"?

Graphite rods break easily. High sticking is when you point the tip of the rod straight up when there is a fish below you. It causes the rod to bend past its ability. Think of an upside down J. you need to keep the rod tip pointed more towards the fish so it only has a gentle curve in it (more like an r). 

This is not as much of a problem in older glass rods and to a lesser extent composite (glass tipped) rods as they can bend a lot more. 

It mostly happens when the fish is close to the boat, the angler lifts the rod to pull it close for a net or gaff shot. The fish flicks, bends the tip down and snap. I'm sure you would be able to find plenty of videos on this. 

21 hours ago, Mylesfisher said:

My rod recently was snapped when untangling my lure from a pylon after a fished smashed it and ran under structure its my new daiwa td 20 black 😭 BTW its a one piece would there be a way of fixing it or should i get a refund cheers, Myles

Hey Myles, 

You can pretty much fix any rod... but I don't. they will never really be the same and repairs can make them weaker as well. You can put a sleeve inside the break but the bend is all wrong and the balance is all out. Like Old Scaley said the only exception to this is if you just break off the tip... but even then they are not the same. 

I am a shocker for breaking rods... a good tap on a carbon fibre/graphite rod and it will likely break the next time you load it up. These days I only purchase rods like live fibre that take a bit of a knock. I gotta say I have loved ultra light rods for catching smaller fish but I just have to stop... 

Why not have a shot on getting a refund? Good luck. 

@Mylesfisher

Not saying it's your fault.

Generally if a graphite rod is going to fail it will upon first load up. 

After that, it's pretty much good to go. 

Only saying because I have been rejected on this before. 

Depends on the person, or shop you got it from I suppose. 

I hope you get a replacement but just keep it in mind.