What To Do In All This Rain

AUS-BNE-FISHO

Hi All

I can't imagine the river will be fishing well, especially if they release water from Wivenhoe. I'll probably drop a crab pot in at a landbased spot, and although unlikely I might get lucky.

So what does everyone else do in terms of fishing? Only chase prawns and crabs, go offshore, go freshwater, stick to the rivers?

Cheers Hamish

I've rearranged and repacked my tackle bag so far. If the rain stops for a bit I need to investigate why my livewell pump isn't working. Apart from that I think the fishing will be very slow in the estuaries and bay, so I expect I will need some counseling by the end of next week.

I think you'll do it tough in the river as well. Weigh down those pots.

I wouldn't be putting pots in the river itself for a few days Hamish, I suspect the river will be running very fast. Lots of rain alright, I've done a few shifts sweeping water out from under our house (not built under, just paved by me) this arvo/evening and will do a couple more before going to bed to try to stop it getting too deep/high.

Good chance to do up some rigs, service reels and boat trailer, etc. Be interesting what it does to the prawn season in the short and long term.

12 hours ago, ellicat said:

I've rearranged and repacked my tackle bag so far. If the rain stops for a bit I need to investigate why my livewell pump isn't working. Apart from that I think the fishing will be very slow in the estuaries and bay, so I expect I will need some counseling by the end of next week.

I think you'll do it tough in the river as well. Weigh down those pots.

12 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

I wouldn't be putting pots in the river itself for a few days Hamish, I suspect the river will be running very fast. Lots of rain alright, I've done a few shifts sweeping water out from under our house (not built under, just paved by me) this arvo/evening and will do a couple more before going to bed to try to stop it getting too deep/high.

Good chance to do up some rigs, service reels and boat trailer, etc. Be interesting what it does to the prawn season in the short and long term.

Thanks guys, I won’t be putting in any pots this weekend. The spot I wanted to go is flooded anyways.

Angry, some parts of SEQ/Ipswich have 150mm (some parts more possibly). There’s a lot of flooding at the moment.

Cheers Hamish

I'm at Ravenswood south of Townsville.

Yeah, we get some scorchers here, what ever Townsville is we're at

least 3 degrees above or in winter it's below.

Yeah, I'm guessing 43/45 on the grass on a hot day, we got about 3 weeks of 41 in

the kitchen at home with fans on.No good measuring at the forecast temp when

you're talking about grass  growing.

PS. It's 37.4 in kitchen now and forecast for Townsville was 25--34 today.

2 Industrial fans going on 3. so outside at grass level would be over 42.

No fishing for me yet! Started to pack up the house and doing the first run to new rental house at Hervey Bay tomorrow, rain permitting of course and provided the roads up there are all open to traffic. The rain washed a heap of gravel from the driveway on to the road so will have to put it back during the week, probably about a cubic meter of it so the old back is going to give me heaps of pain afterwards. Not to mention the grass is growing rampant so provided the ground dries out it is another job to do. So far since the rain spell started last week we have had about 750mm of rain.

9 minutes ago, Old Scaley said:

Surely your school would have gone under in the flood, Hamish?  Are you on-line learning now?

Hey Steve

Yes, some of it did, unfortunately the sub station / power source of the school got flooded too. Originally it was going to be online school until next term, but luckily the principal has organised a generator so, from Wednesday, I won’t be stuck at home anymore. (Online school Monday + Tuesday). 

Cheers Hamish