Replace tow vehicle or not - opinions please

Old Scaley

I don’t know about you people, but I always hang on to my cars for just that little bit too long. Mrs Scaley and I are both retired and we only run one car, a 2012 FG G6 Ford that we bought after the big hail storm in 2014 totalled our previous car. It has been a great car. Pretty comfortable and tows like a dream. For the past 2 years I have been thinking about trading up before it got too old, but as usual left it until the thing developed a few problems. Last service the mechanic delivered the good news that the suspension needs major work, and that front suspension parts for this model are crazy expensive. Despite changing out the front shocks last December, it still needs a few thousand dollars worth of work to take out the rattles and bumps that have crept in over the past few months. The rest of the car is mint.

Happy to look at a replacement but just don’t know what? Don’t really want a changeover price above $20k now that I am not working. Needs to shopping centre friendly (have been told that utes or 4x4s are not happening),  able to easily tow the tinnie (I have calculated that all up weight of boat, motor, trailer and gear when loaded is under the 750kg limit, but not too much under), be comfortable on a trip, and not too expensive to maintain. I have thought about lots of different vehicles, but the prices at the moment are crazy for what you get. 

So I am throwing it out to the universe - replace or repair? If it is replace, what with? 

That will give us all something to ponder while we wait for the water to clear up and we can get fishing again.

4 minutes ago, ellicat said:

I think with the way the used car market is at the moment, you'd be better off with repair over replace. How many km's on her ?

Just the 165k so barely run in. It would be a much easier decision if the used/new car market wasn’t overheated. @Junky I do trust the mechanic but they were smashed in the flood so that gives me more time to procrastinate.

If you like the car I’d be spending the couple of grand and get a few more years out of it. my old man is a motor mechanic and just retired, he said they do big kms with little issues. Thanks 

I’ve been thinking it’s time to get a vehicle that tows the boat a bit better. I use our Subaru Forrester which towed my old tinny really well (would of been around 700kg). 
but the new boat is around 1200kg and I wouldn’t do long tow trips with it. 
Currently not that keen to buy a new or near new car & have been thinking of a falcon or ford territory. 

3 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

Just the 165k so barely run in. It would be a much easier decision if the used/new car market wasn’t overheated. @Junky I do trust the mechanic but they were smashed in the flood so that gives me more time to procrastinate.

Good luck with it all. 

As a matter of interest. 

How much do you want for it if you do sell? 🤔

1 hour ago, kmcrosby78 said:

I too would be inclined to keep it Steve. If you decide to chase a second opinion, Dad and I use a guy in Capalaba who is as honest as and also very affordable. Bit of a drive for you but let me know if you want his details.

Might be the same guy that junky pm’d me about this morning. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Well I’ll go the other way from everyone else. Personally, I have found that when things start going wrong with a vehicle everything starts going wrong soon after. I would try to sell your current car and then with cash in hand go to the auctions and look for a good ex government vehicle or similar.

And with the used car market being so hot you should get more for your current car as well.

Yeah, I agree with Greg, BUT, I'd be verryy careful buying second hand even ex gov. 

as there has been lots of water around hasn't there.

Hard call to make at the moment. probably the devil you know is

the one to give the less dramas.I'd have a big talk to the finance minister before

I did anything in this climate.

Good luck.

Thanks @Angry51 and @GregOug. I have both those thoughts competing in my brain lately. I have an appointment with the financial advisor next week so will raise it with him. Maybe with the war, floods, Warnie etc I may not have the money to take any options and will have to get Hamish and his Dad to set me up with a treadlie and tow bar. 🤣