Annual Hydraulic Steering Maintenance

Hweebe

In my pursuit of knowledge in DIY boat, trailer, outboard maintenance I haven't come across what maintenance is required for hydraulic steering setups such as seastar or hydrive.

Have to admit I have never really thought of this hydraulic cylinder needing maintenance but here is a link i found:

Hydraulic Steering Maintenance (seastarsolutions.com)

Interesting note in the document: 

Most of us head for the transom to give the outboard or stern-drive a little attention. Now’s certainly a good time to change the engine oil, check the filters and take a look at the gear oil in the lower unit But few of us think to look a just a little bit forward and check out the hydraulic steering system. In fact, when asked, most boat owners said they had no idea there was anything they should do, or could do, 
to maintain their hydraulic systems.

Thanks for bringing this up.

I have hydraulic steering and have occasionally pondered its maintenance/failure, but keep forgetting to mention it when I get the motor serviced. I doubt mine has ever been serviced, only having 330 hours in the water (only 99 by the first owner).

I'll definitely get it looked at next service.

I'd guess that any service center would only do what is asked. If you go in for an outboard service, they'd only touch the outboard, if you are chasing a full service, as in Trailer, Boat and Motor, then I'd hope they'd look at Hyd Steering, but unless you're going to the same center each time, I'd say they'd keep it limited. 

3 minutes ago, Corry said:

I'd guess that any service center would only do what is asked. If you go in for an outboard service, they'd only touch the outboard, if you are chasing a full service, as in Trailer, Boat and Motor, then I'd hope they'd look at Hyd Steering, but unless you're going to the same center each time, I'd say they'd keep it limited. 

Yes, I've been going to them for 15 years, but have only had hydraulic steering for two. So I'm not sure. I'll find out soon enough though. 🙂

5 hours ago, Corry said:

I put my motor into one of the local Suzuki dealers for its 80 hour service and they checked much more than expected, they contacted me about the thermostat, the kill switch, and the trailer wheel bearings.  So suppose it depends on who you use....

We also asked for the Suzuki computer printout for the motor showing all motor readouts -use, failures, running times etc etc.

On 14/3/2022 at 9:11 PM, ellicat said:

I got motivated and went back and looked at my last service invoice and it looks like they haven't touched it.

I did the same and no mention of checking hydraulic steering on the invoice. Seems that besides the outboard, remote controls cables and linkages the hydraulic steering is something we will have to ask for specifically or diy.