Electric motor size and shaft size

Jaola

I have a 4.4 metre Sea Jay Territory so not a lot bigger than the Busta. It has a 55lb Minn Kota Riptide Powerdrive with the 54inch shaft (longest in that motor).  This setup holds me in place using spotlock in most situations but it will still cavitate a little in a decent chop or some boat wake, so I would definitely recommend the longer shaft rather than the 48” which is a little cheaper.

I went for a 55lb, it was purchased for my little 4m tinny, then I worked out how much we rely on these things, I got another mount so I could mount it on our 5m tinny as well (Top Ender, so not a lot of weight). We then started using it for our Territory trips and I found it struggled keeping up with tidal run on big tides. Worked alright on the little one, but it never really seen any bigger tidal runs. 

I'd suggest the size and length is determined by what you're going to want it to do. If you only fish dams, smaller will do, if you are in an area with big tides, you need to go bigger. If you're using it outside, you need longer to account for waves.

You're better off having something working at half it's capability than working at 90-100% and having some to spare. Much easier on battery life too. There not something that you want to have to upgrade soon after purchasing. 

On 15/03/2022 at 1:46 PM, Jaola said:

Hey was just wondering if anyone has a 420 busta with electric motor fitted to the bow, what is the preferred motor size and shaft size? 
thanks 

Hi Joala

I actually have a mate who owns a 420 Busta. They have an electric motor. I will ask him the exact shaft size/motor size, but the one he has seems to be fine to hold in relatively heavy current. Although it did seem like it could run out of charge quickly so make sure you have a charged/big battery.

Cheers Hamish