Mylesfisher

Hello members of the forum,

I am embarking on a renovation of my 310 explorer I have a reel that is a 4000 vanford and a rod that is a td black 20 Macka 5-8kg (rate my setup) and I’ve had a blast on my friends tinny Wanting to buy a rod for seaway fishing along with my new boat should I go light for pinkies, parrotfish, small bigeye excetera or go heavy for mackerel, Mulloway, kingfish excetera my budget is $500-600 I’ve had a blast fishing I caught a 70cm estuary rock cod cheers, Myles

63221522-74CF-4566-8577-5BE6E0659025.jpeg

Hi Myles

It’s good to see you have been catching some fish. Personally I would continue using your 4000 size reel for any lighter fishing for parrotfish, pinkies, etc, and invest in a large baitrunner on a heavy rod (I.e thunnus 12000 on a 15-20kg Ugly Stik) for any bait fishing for kingfish, Jew, etc. If you plan to chase the larger fish on lures then a heavy spinning reel on a graphite rod would probably suit.

Good luck, and be careful taking a 310 tinny into the seaway as it can get quiet rough.

Cheers Hamish 

On 21/04/2022 at 8:12 PM, Mylesfisher said:

Gday hamish

Ive realised that I did not tell you what line I have I have 20lb braid and 30lb fc rock I mainly will target pinkies and trevally not jewfish a lot would this setup be better than just a 2500

Hi Myles

You’d probably be best off using the 4000 size reel. When I have fished the seaway on a charter boat I have used 3000 size reels (so very similar to your 4000 vanford) and live herring. 
The Ugly Stik was just a general recommendation as they are nice, sturdy rods to fish with when using bait, if I were to purchase one I would look at the Ugly Stik Gold series.

Personally if I was you I would continue to use your 4000 size vanford when you target larger fish and invest in a lighter combo for small trevally and other little fish. Using a heavier Ugly Stik or lure combo was just a recommendation. 

Cheers Hamish

I think you should have a look at something lighter  like the  7 ft 4 to 8 lb Wilson blade n tails rods matched  to a 2500 series shimano  reel loaded with some 5kg braid. But be very careful not to high stick this type of rod , The  high modulus blanks are nice and  light  and great to use , but will break if not always treated with respect.

Neil

Cheers junky and hamish

i have decided to keep using my 4000 vanford and daiwa td 20 black macka what braid and leader should I use when targeting jacks, Trev’s and queen fish. I will get a 14000 Certate or the 12000 thunnus for Jewries also what plastics and jig heads should I use for those trevs and general species you talked about ie trevs, mangrove jacks and queen fish if you have any guides it would be greatly appreciated.

I've got the Shimano Vanford 5000 on an 8kg rod, the advantage I found in it over the 4000 was the bigger Handel and the oversized knob. 

But it's main ability is its brilliant casting, I spool mine with ultra thin 50lb braid for shore based fishing for very large fish but its way over kill for most boat based fishing. 

You would probably be well served with something like the Penn Fierce III 600 for much more line capacity and the live liner feature makes it brilliant for more fishing situations. 

I simply can't fault an ugly stick either, I'd avoid a longer one unless your casting as short rods give you better power and control. 

If it's going to involve a lot of casting for kingfish ect I'd go a Vanford 5000, 30lb braid and 7ft ball park in an 8kg ugly stick. I find the longer rods are more forgiving when you sacrifice stiff power for the ability to play the fish. 

If it's going to involve more bottom bouncing and jigging I'd go the Penn fierce either 4000 or 6000 depending on how much line you think you will need and a 5-6ft ugly stick in the 8-10kg range to give you more stiff control when fighting the fish. 

5 hours ago, Mylesfisher said:

If i have a 4000 vanny what rod size would be the best for trevs and other fish from the seaway in the 40-50cm range

You would probably be fine with an 8kg rod, I've caught much bigger fish on an 8kg rod but I would not go any bigger as they aren't a very large reel. 

A good 6kg rod if it's solid with a good backbone and feel would do the job nicely with that reel as long as you don't Crank the drag right up. 

It would also balance quite well, just avoid one that's too soft, I'd probably go something around 6'6"-7ft. 

My 5000 XG sits on a 6-8kg 7ft Nitro Viper 5 piece travel rod. 

I definitely wouldn't put it on anything bigger and the 4000 is just a touch smaller. 

You should be able to put 200m of 20lb braid on the 4000, that would make that a pretty flexible outfit. 

Especially for boat fishing. 

King Fish and tayler, fast moving metal lures work great, as for soft plastics, I always liked a long blue shad type with a slow retrieve and big drops. 

But I mostly did that for queen fish, for other species you can slow roll curly tails or paddle tails with a bit of a flick or drop, even the prawn ones go pretty good. I've used them on bream and golden trevally. 

The 4000 should be fine, the only difference between the 4000 and the 5000 is the later has a deeper spool and a big handle. 

30lb thin braid and a 30lb fluorocarbon leader should match pretty good, it depends on the structure more then the size of the fish. 

A bit light for GT's but otherwise pretty good, you can definitely get them on a 6kg rod although I prefer an 8kg one. The main reason besides their pull is that they love poppers and a light rod with a big popper has a bit to much flex in it. 

I also run 30lb braid at a minimum, and a 40-60lb fluorocarbon leader. 

But I fished them in Darwin where there's plenty of structure for them to use against you. All shore based to so that didn't help. 

If your fishing more sand or open water then 20lb braid is fine and you can go a 30lb leader, you always get more bights the lighter you fish but in some situations less bites but more catches is definitely better then getting broken off all the time. 

What sort of water will you be fishing?