looking for help targeting threadfin salmon Brisbane river landbased

Congratulations on your first threadie. I gave up years ago without getting one, so not the best person for tips. However, I do know that the park at the end of Quay Street, next to the sailing squadron, is/was a good spot to target them.

Good luck. Let us know how you go and post some pics if you can. 🙂

1 hour ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hi Thorbjorn

I fish the river a lot for threadfin - I am no expert but I can give you a couple of tips that will help. 

When baitfishing for threadfin, the general rig I run (and many others too) is a size 3 or 4 star sinker, about 50-100cm of 30-60 pound trace, and a 3/o-6/o hook (4/o and 5/o being the best all round size). You can simply buy your hooks, sinkers, and swivels from Kmart or BigW, as you will loose a fair few rigs so not much point in spending a heap of money on them. The one thing I would recommend buying would be decent leader - I like FC Rock, but Platypus is decent leader too (I prefer fluorocarbon over mono as there is less stretch). I use 20-30 pound braid mainlines. As for combos, most will work. You won't want to fish any lighter than about 4-7KG, and the heaviest you generally need to use landbased is about 6-10KG (obviously you can go heavier or lighter as you please, but when you go lighter the sinkers become trickier to cast and when you go heavier the fight is not as long-lived/good). I like to use any reel around the 4000-6000 size - Penn Spinfishers are alright for this type of fishing as are Shimano Baitrunners/normal spinning reels. Any rod from 6"6 onwards will work well - longer for better casting distance.  

Baits that work are live and fresh baits (though you will get salmon on servo bait, livies are much better). It is better to catch your own baits, and live baits are especially good as they attract more desirable fish and help you avoid vermin species. I like herring, prawns, anchovies, mullet, and bony bream (though many other baits work too). You can buy a cast net for about 80-120 bucks depending on size. It is best to catch these and cast them out as far as you can, but I generally alternate with distance, sometimes even dropping my bait down (this can result in cod and other fish too). 

As for spots, the jetty at Bulimba Riverside Park is a popular and well known spot, as is Vic Lucas park (I think that's the spot ellicat is talking about). But for that matter - I was there yesterday and there is a lot of rocks/mangroves taking up fishing space, so maybe the jetty would be your best bet. The best way to find a spot in general is to ride or walk the river (google maps is OK but you can't find any of the secret spots you might at the end of a dead end, new jetty, etc). 

Other various things that can help are a cheap dilly from Kmart to land fish from a height, a good aerator to keep your livies alive, and a mate to go with so you don't die of boredom before you get something 🙂. You will catch catfish, river perch, jewfish, and now it is winter and the water is getting clearer flatties and squire should start coming up the river. 

I hope that helps a bit,

Cheers Hamish

Thanks for the help I’ll go and try get one tonight 

21 hours ago, Thorbjorn Hale said:

Hi i recently caught my first threaddy from the Brisbane river on a live mullet. I am hoping to catch some more so any spots, baits and techniques would be greatly appreciated.  i live in Bulimba so any spots near there would be good.

thanks Thorbjorn

i am defienly no expert but i have caught quite a few up in karoomba, some of the people staying next to us went on the charter and they told us that the best way to catch them is to use a size 4 - 5 hook and put on a piece of shark then prawn.  idk why this order but if they did anything else they did not catch, they mainly targeted thredfin and caught around 20 size ones in an hour so it works quite well.

Edited by Tuna are fish
Grammatical error

13 hours ago, Thorbjorn Hale said:

I thought it might have a been a small thready because it didn’t have much weight to it and was peeling heavy drag off like it was nothing 

doesn't matter if you catch one or not, you seem like your having lots of fun just trying and catching bycatch.  and thats why i go fishing, not just for a feed but for fun.

Bit different down there because you get salmon in deep water whereas I'm fishing shallow water. But, up here king salmon (threadies for you) and grunter love  live yabbies. I'm thinking if you can get yabbies, fish them on a long leader and size 2 long shank late at night - opening up big bream, whiting, grunter, salmon, jewies etc. all on the same rig.  

Have caught threadies from the opposite side of Bulimba in the Newstead area (Breaky creek to Tenerriffe Ferry)

Long area to explore with some sections well lit at night attracting bait (prawns). There is good access and lots of areas to explore.

Resident apartments are all along this foreshore so its relatively safe if you like your late night fishing for threadies.

Just unfortunate that this month has been pretty harsh for chasing threadies in the river due to all this rain. Most likely gonna affect the number of prawns in the river as well till at least early to mid June I suppose. Not sure if it is just me, but I notice that every time after it rains the prawns I catch in the river get a tad smaller for some reason. 

Anyways, while I am pretty sure that the threadies have moved to deeper holes in the bay where the higher salinity is more comfortable for them, sometimes I do wonder where exactly do they move to. After all, we still do not know much about their ecology. 

I reckon such a high rainfall event in the early winter might be rather weird for the threadies as well. While threadies tend to spawn during times of high rainfall and floods in general, now is already way past their spawning season.