Wind affected QLD fishing trip - where should I go instead?

Ryannnnnnnn

Hey,

So I've got 10 days leave booked and was to tow my 6.5m boat up north to Yeppoon from Brisbane. Typically, the wind is forecasted to be horrendous all up the queensland coast. It's always the way! 😔

The wind doesn't look too bad down south into NSW past the mid north coast - but I've never done a fishing trip into NSW as I've always been drawn towards the species we get up north. I am not familiar with the central/south coast at all.

I like my bay / island / reef fishing the most. If you were in my position, where would you take 10 days off to travel to in NSW within 10 hours of Brisbane for some bay / offshore fishing?

Looking forward to your thoughts.

I’m heading to Woody Head late this week, so pretty sure I can drag those big South-Easterlies down there, leaving you a clear run in Qld.  What about Evans Head or any of those Northern Rivers areas? Lots of good ground not far out and a lot less fuel getting there. Hope you have a good trip no matter where you end up. 

tough one mate...  i usually have similar luck with the weather.

a lot of places in NSW and on the central coast have pretty gnarly coastal bars.  one exception to this is Coffs Harbour.  I don't know a lot about the offshore fishing around there but there is plenty of rocky reefy areas not too far out. Some of the less gnarly bars are found at forster/tuncurry and north haven / camden haven.  Again, i don't know a lot about the offshore fishing there.

There is heaps of awesome estuary systems down there though and often you can target bigger things like kingfish and mulloway around the entrances/breakwalls if conditions permit.

6 hours ago, Junky said:

What about the dams?

@Ryannnnnnnn Lake Awoonga is the direction I'd be heading. Stay somewhere around Gladstone and fish the dam or the narrows west of Curtis, Port Alma and Fitzroy river. If there is a break in the weather venture outside of Curtis. Just make sure you watch the tides through the narrows, the middle section dries mid tide, so plan accordingly.

Awoonga and the dams are a great suggestion. I'll give that a go next time I'm up there when it blows up.

So I actually ended up rescheduling my leave to late June and have done a complete flip and decided to tow the boat up to airlie beach 😮😮😮

Never done any fishing there I'm   sure it will be epic. Time to jump on navionics and pick out some structure to sound around on. Any tips on the area is very welcome!

6 hours ago, Ryannnnnnnn said:

Awoonga and the dams are a great suggestion. I'll give that a go next time I'm up there when it blows up.

So I actually ended up rescheduling my leave to late June and have done a complete flip and decided to tow the boat up to airlie beach 😮😮😮

Never done any fishing there I'm   sure it will be epic. Time to jump on navionics and pick out some structure to sound around on. Any tips on the area is very welcome!

Hope you have a great trip in June. You are still likely to get the SE trade winds through the cooler months but hopefully you will pick a nice patch of the weather to enjoy a beautiful part of the world. My only advice would be not to swim in CID Harbour.🥴

On 19/05/2022 at 10:08 AM, Ryannnnnnnn said:

airlie beach

It is awesome up there, use to live there, best place to launch is shut harbour and go out past long island and this time of year you will get tuna, spanish (if your lucky), and Huge 1.2m+ GT's around the reefs.  make sure you check your drag tho, because i have lost tons of braid to the fish.  be careful of the sharks as they are everywhere.  if you go around the islands close to the harbour and catch a small fish make a cawh cawh sound (like a sea eagle) and a big bird might fly over to get your fish when you throw it.

good luck up there.

10 hours ago, Tuna are fish said:

It is awesome up there, use to live there, best place to launch is shut harbour and go out past long island and this time of year you will get tuna, spanish (if your lucky), and Huge 1.2m+ GT's around the reefs.  make sure you check your drag tho, because i have lost tons of braid to the fish.  be careful of the sharks as they are everywhere.  if you go around the islands close to the harbour and catch a small fish make a cawh cawh sound (like a sea eagle) and a big bird might fly over to get your fish when you throw it.

good luck up there.

Awesome mate really appreciate the tips!