Alvey is no more

GregOug

Really tough business model to keep going.

It's challenging to get new sales when your product is rock solid and withstands the harsh salt water conditions.

In a bizarre way by making their product to a high standard this has reduced their long term sales.

More needs to be done from Government, to help support Australian manufacturing. 

Yes we want higher wages however this puts us on the backfoot when competing with imported products where modern slavery is a real issue.

its such a shame only saw this on the news tonite more a aussie jobs gone MABYE OUR NEW PRIME MINISTER COULD HELP We dont make much any more   i email a couple of tv anglers to see if any help can come  tins At fishing OUTLETS OR A QUICK FUNRAISER VERY QUICK .JUST TRYING TO HELP THE VEGEMITE OF AUSSIE REELS

The free trade deal with China was a big killer too. 

Now our market gets flooded with cheap crap that our local manufacturers can't come close to competing with, that then kills off our manufacturing and worse still we loose the skills base needed to start it back up. 

If covid taught us anything it's that we need to be more self reliant not more reliant on foreign made goods. 

Outsourcing and destruction of manufacturing industry happened in NZ years ago.  Wages are much lower than here, cost of living much higher, homelessness is a huge issue.

IMO NZ would have been bankrupt if they hadn't sold and continue to sell all our land, assets, industry, IP etc to overseas interests to keep the country going (for the top percentage anyway). 

The first step to this was to destroy the unions by both legislation and propoganda.

All of this happened way before the free trade deal with China.

from Alvey themselves;
"The ability to source raw materials together with drastic cost increases, significant and increasing domestic and global supply chain logistics issues, and coupled with Covid 19 disruptive staff shortages, Alvey Reels has made the difficult decision that production at the Carole Park facility is no longer sustainable, and to cease manufacturing effective 30th June 2022.".... " proving to be too expensive to remain in business."
facts are facts, many business`s are suffering
in these times… the building/construction industry is an example of the previous reliable sources of materials failing, rising material, and transport costs etc.. it’s all part of an ever growing global crisis.

I just got an alvey reel which is very limited in retrieving  line quickly. I would say it is much slower than an average  spin reel.  So I Just wondering how an alvey fisherman fight a big fish like threadfin salmon which take heaps of lines in a second. 

Is this the inherent weakness of design which all tackles maker know and do not make similar products ( they probably can make something similar if they want to since relevant  patents expired long ago. ) what is your thought?

Btw, the alvey reel i bought can not fit in my generic rods, so consider this post my vent🙂

On 25/05/2022 at 4:57 PM, Bob9863 said:

The free trade deal with China was a big killer too. 

Now our market gets flooded with cheap crap that our local manufacturers can't come close to competing with, that then kills off our manufacturing and worse still we loose the skills base needed to start it back up. 

If covid taught us anything it's that we need to be more self reliant not more reliant on foreign made goods. 

Tariffs were progressively removed from the time Whitlam made the first significant cut - for better or worse. 

• 2 weeks later...

It is very sad. I have used Alvey reels for about 50 years now and still love them. 

What a blight on the way we do stuff. They make them too good and go out of business...

I have an Alvey yabby pump... bought it one night when I had caught a few reds (wines not emperor). Not sure why I need a titanium one... Perhaps it will be worth a lot one day? 

On 03/06/2022 at 10:56 AM, Sunny boy said:

I just got an alvey reel which is very limited in retrieving  line quickly. I would say it is much slower than an average  spin reel.  So I Just wondering how an alvey fisherman fight a big fish like threadfin salmon which take heaps of lines in a second. 

Is this the inherent weakness of design which all tackles maker know and do not make similar products ( they probably can make something similar if they want to since relevant  patents expired long ago. ) what is your thought?

Btw, the alvey reel i bought can not fit in my generic rods, so consider this post my vent🙂

Hey Sunny boy,

Fair points. Your rant is understandable. 

While I have caught fish on them throwing slugs off the rocks I wouldn't recommend it for the faint hearted. I agree with you that they really are not a lure casting type reel unless you just want to tea bag a vibe or something. 

I have caught loads of large fish on them, It is quite an art to pay out line and not burn your fingers or get your knuckles wrapped by the handles. We would have a wet piece of towel on the ready if a Cobia took a bait and held it against the line as the reel spun away. Exciting stuff. 

I still love to use them on the beach and fishing for things like whiting in the bay but overheads and threadlines are a lot easier and drags are smoother for trolling or reef fishing. The organic nature of being one to one with a fish has a strong appeal to me. I am sad they have called it a day, and thankfully that they gave it a good second stab over the past 3 years or so, but glad that I have a pretty solid collection that will see me out.