Shore jigging/ rock fishing setup

Stevo83

Hi everyone 

Had a question about a setup for shore jigging from the rocks currently I'm using a 4000 stradic sw with 20lb braid and a pe 1-2.5 9'6 rod everything thing I've read says this is a good all round size for shore jigging but the problem is I've been spooled once now and lost several big fish that I just haven't been able to stop so I've decided to go bigger but an 8000 size setup seems to big to cast from shore and I don't know if I'll just face the same problems with a 6000 size setup, or is it just a technique problem? Either way I need help!! 

Thanks.

8 hours ago, Stevo83 said:

Hi everyone 

Had a question about a setup for shore jigging from the rocks currently I'm using a 4000 stradic sw with 20lb braid and a pe 1-2.5 9'6 rod everything thing I've read says this is a good all round size for shore jigging but the problem is I've been spooled once now and lost several big fish that I just haven't been able to stop so I've decided to go bigger but an 8000 size setup seems to big to cast from shore and I don't know if I'll just face the same problems with a 6000 size setup, or is it just a technique problem? Either way I need help!! 

Thanks.

Lots of people like Saragosas for landbased spinning, and that goes up a bit larger than the Stradic. It would be handy to compare the specs by looking at both a 6000 and 8000 reel to see what suits your needs more. 

You could go a 600-6000 size depending on what the manufacturer calls it, or use a super thin braid with your current reel. 

How badly were you spooled, could you pull it up at all or did you hook into a freight train that was just unstoppable? 

You might have to go bigger simply because your rod can't handle any more drag so more line might be your only option. 

You could try very thin braid and squeeze a bit more line on, but that's, expensive line to loose. 

As it is you should be able to put about 200 yards of 20lb braid on it so if your getting spooled then it might be time to upgrade both the rood and reel for that spot, maybe even go to an overhead?