Three things to consider: budget; what sort of fish are you filleting; how often are you going to use it? I have a few different knives that I use, depending on the fish. I use a Martiini 6 inch for smaller fish like whiting or flathead. Also very good for skinning. For bigger fish with heavier bones I use a 9 inch Swibo and a Victorinox boning knife. Lots of good knives out there if you have the money.

Not sure what brand my knife is but it has a white handle and about a 200mm long flexible blade. I got it from Drew at Gardiner tackle shop in rainbow Beach. 

So long as you have a nice long flexible blade, oh, and a pair of black panther snips for the bones and rib cage.

Saves the sharp edge on the knife. 

On 04/06/2022 at 8:19 PM, Old Scaley said:

Three things to consider: budget; what sort of fish are you filleting; how often are you going to use it? I have a few different knives that I use, depending on the fish. I use a Martiini 6 inch for smaller fish like whiting or flathead. Also very good for skinning. For bigger fish with heavier bones I use a 9 inch Swibo and a Victorinox boning knife. Lots of good knives out there if you have the money.

I reckon you have it down pat, you need at least a couple of knives for different purposes. I basically have 1 knife exclusively for whiting filleting which is well worth it when you bag a few and you want to get maximum fillets.

Exactly as you a larger / heavy knife for bigger fish (that rarely gets used due to lack of fishing skill :P)

Invest in a good wet stone to keep the blade nice and sharp.

Victorinox Swibo is a good one that doesn't break the budget. It is what a lot of pro's use. 

For me its more about how sharp it is... I used to be good at putting them on the stone and steel, but find I don't put the effort into sharpening that I used to...  

@Old Scaley did you say the Aldi knife sharpeners are good? 

Anyone else got a good tip on knife sharpeners?

5 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Victorinox Swibo is a good one that doesn't break the budget. It is what a lot of pro's use. 

For me its more about how sharp it is... I used to be good at putting them on the stone and steel, but find I don't put the effort into sharpening that I used to...  

@Old Scaley did you say the Aldi knife sharpeners are good? 

Anyone else got a good tip on knife sharpeners?

Nah, Robbie. Rough as guts.