Travelling to Australia from Sweden to fish, need some tips.

Naifkex

Hi!

Me and my father (38 and 64years of age) is planning on travelling to Australia 20/12-20/1 2022 or 2023.

Our plan is to fish off shore at least 5-7 of those days (full consecutive days, at least 7 hours). The thing is that I have no clue where to start looking.

We would primarily like to fish for tunas/marlin if possible, doesn’t really matter which tuna/marlin. We are not aiming for the biggest fishes, we’d rather have several 20kg fishes instead of one 100kg if that makes sense. Other species that are of interest are other fighting fishes that are a fun catch.

We would like to rent and/or hire a captain/guide of a smaller boat in first hand, we do not want to be on a larger charter boat with other tourists that hasn’t fished. An other option would be a bigger boat with other customers that are used to fishing.

We have a lot of deep sea fishing experience being in Norway for 20+ years. Catching a Halibut, in between the 40-60kg range, and alot of cod. We don’t have that much experience with fishes living in the higher temped seas (got some bluefin and yellowfin around 10kgs in Malta some years ago but that’s it.) We have own gear for smaller fishes, but not for the bigger ones so we would need gear for that. (We only have 200-300 meters of line on our spools)

Where would a good place to go fish? 

Any suggestions of boats/good guides/charters?

Thanks in advance.

//Nicklas

edit. Added marlin, I forgot about those beauties for some reason.

Hi,

The only other plans we have is to see the barrier reef and Ayer’s rock. 
We would have to plan our fishing trip according to the best place, but preferably if there are some places near the reef(east/ north east coast) so we don’t have to travel across country, but if we have to for better fishing we will.

To get onto big tuna you're probably looking at somewhere in Tasmania. St Helens is a major Tasmanian fishing village, so maybe research charters from there.

I'm in Queensland and there are plenty of smaller tuna all along the coast as well as other pelagics like Spanish Mackerel that you will come into contact with if you fish the Great Barrier Reef.

Yes, small tuna, as in long tail tuna and yellowfin tuna, you will get around that size and maybe a bit bigger, all along the Queensland coast. I'm from Brisbane and you would find it difficult to find a charter operator that would accommodate you're desire to chase tuna in Southeast Qld.

Actually there may be one I can think of. I'll look him up tomorrow and get back to you.

Hey mate,

I hope you have a fantastic trip. I would love to come up your way and get a Halibut.

What time of year are you coming? 

If you can head north of Brisbane there is some good Tuna, Mackerel, Trevally, reef fish options in Harvey Bay.

https://fishingchartersherveybay.com.au/

Gold Coast and Cairns has some serious game fishing boats that target Marlin etc. I can't recommend any sorry but I am sure a search will find you plenty of options. This can be very dependant on the time of year. 

If you would  like to catch Mackerel and reef fish there are good options our of Townsville in Queensland. I have used these people and find them very good but there are many options up that way. A general rule is that if they don't catch fish they don't stay in busines for long. 

https://www.nccharters.com.au/

One option is to target Dog Tooth Tuna. They are hard to get and you would probably need a few day trip but man they are awesome and so worth a go.