Emergency Engine starting Procedure

Hweebe

I haven't been around boats all my life but did not realise for battery started boats  there is still an emergency rip cord starting procedure. I always assume Flat battery while on the water = VMR / Coast guard. Found this on the last page of my outboard manual (that i admit haven't read completely)

Has anyone ever had to attempt an emergency start before?

image.png.5e7a385a05b6d5583019e084c7bb3f2f.png

What brand jump starters - I reckon i'm not the best at keeping another battery charged plus what is the lifespan on these lithium jump starters? Would it be more cost effective to just replace boat batteries premptively.

Lots of cheap ones but Murphy's law will have it that when i need the jump starter that will be flat too.

If I go cheap I'm worried it won't work when i need it.

If i go expensive, I'm thinking it may be cheaper to replace the boat batteries proactively 

6 hours ago, Hweebe said:

What brand jump starters

I bought one of these -

https://itechworld.com.au/products/itech2000a-portable-jump-starter-backup-qi-wireless-power-bank

Have used it on the boat once, but that wasn't the problem. Have started a Lancer with it and also a Navara. It seems to work well and holds its charge for ages... 17% drop every ~6 months. I'm usually good enough to remember once in that time to give it a recharge. You can also recharge using 12V so once it has started the motor you can use the motor to recharge it. Win Win. I've had it for about 30 months and still all good.

On 13/06/2022 at 10:26 AM, Hweebe said:

What brand jump starters - I reckon i'm not the best at keeping another battery charged plus what is the lifespan on these lithium jump starters? Would it be more cost effective to just replace boat batteries premptively.

Lots of cheap ones but Murphy's law will have it that when i need the jump starter that will be flat too.

If I go cheap I'm worried it won't work when i need it.

If i go expensive, I'm thinking it may be cheaper to replace the boat batteries proactively 

I have a NOCO GB40 Genius Boost +. It holds it's charge for quite a few months. It saved a fishing trip not long after I got it. A hard to start motor on a cold morning quickly drained my boat's batteries. Batteries can lose 50% of their charge in low temperatures.