Rod and reel maintenance while on tour

So I am wondering what are the steps to take in order to care for rods and reels while out on an extended fishing trip. 

I have been steadily upgrading my rods and reels and I’m thinking that it probably isn’t ideal to leave them sitting cover in salt water out in the sun for weeks at a time while on long fishing trips to the reef and the like.

on these trips there is usually a limited supply of fresh water so hosing the reels and rods is not really a viable option.

I have seen products like spray on tackle guard but some manufacturers say that sprays should not be used - this also probably doesn’t reach all the nooks and crannies in the reels. 

the rods are usually stored in the rod holders along to roof of the boat and get decent amount of salt water spray while moving spots and trolling around. 

what can be done to minimise damage and water ingress / care for them at the end of each day. 

• PLAYER_ONE changed the title to Rod and reel maintenance while on tour

There are covers for your reels that you can purchase to use when transporting or storing your reels. I don't know what you would do to clean them from usage but they should stop some of the spray damage. 

https://www.anacondastores.com/fishing/fishing-reels/reel-accessories/shimano-spin-reel-cover-black-green/90170936?gclsrc=aw.ds&gclsrc=aw.ds&gclid=Cj0KCQjw-pCVBhCFARIsAGMxhAcTZEtBudfPSOXNUP-ZscHwWOBjnnaWgueejXuM43oXZh2Il2atkVQaAqG7EALw_wcB

9 hours ago, Hweebe said:

If freshwater is in short supply - Probably a tackle guard spray before hand, reel covers when not in use and avoid as much salt spray as you can. 

Quick wipe down with a damp cloth each day is all you can do, with limited water

yeah wiping down reels/rods with a damp cloth after each day is good spraying some silicone spray on the line keeps it in good nic braid mono or leader is fine with silicone spray. spraying some WD40 on a cloth and wiping down reels and rods is a good idea if you've been fishing in heavy saltwater never spray WD40 or anything like that directly on to a reel. Other then that if you have rod and reel covers use them and always make sure you reels are well greased and oiled