Pedal kayak

Grmby

22 hours ago, Grmby said:

Hi guys, 

thinking of upgrading from a paddle kayak to a pedal.  Any one who has a pedal kayak, just want to know if it is worth the extra cost, as some brands can be quite $$$ 

Hobie are obviously the benchmark, but there seems to be other brands with a similar pedal that a bit cheaper such as the pedal pro plus

Any advice would be welcome

Cheers 

@benno573 @AUS-BNE-FISHO anyone else a yaker? 

29 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

@benno573 @AUS-BNE-FISHO anyone else a yaker? 

Hi @Grmby

Hobie kayaks definitely seem to have the widest range of accessories, but having only used a paddle kayak I can’t say I would be good for advice. I would be curious to know how you go if you do purchase a different brand opposed to Hobie.

Cheers Hamish 

49 minutes ago, benno573 said:

Do it!!!  The advantages far outweigh the additional costs.  for a serious fishing yak you can't go past pedals.  

I got my hobie outback 2nd hand off gumtree, had to spend a few $ on it to get it working properly but all up i was on the water fishing for about $2K, with only some fairly minor maintenance costs in the past 5 years.

Some advantages over the paddle kayaks:

- both hands free to fish

- much easier to fight larger fish when you can have two hands on the rod and still move the kayak around

- I can easily cover 20km in a day

- can troll at up to 5kn easily

- easier to maintain forward momentum in choppy conditions - more stability

disadvantages:

- generally heavier

- cost

- fins can be a bit limiting in super shallow waters (less than 30cm deep)

- more moving parts so more potential for breakages

the way i see it, i don't have a "real" boat, so i am saving $ straight up on 2 x regos, insurance etc.  to have a toy i can troll for flatties in 30cm of water or chase snapper and macks offshore on the right day with no real ongoing costs, easily transportable etc, for me it was not hard to justify the extra expense.  especially great now i can take the little one for a trip out as well.

just my 2c worth. 🙂

Thanks mate! 
Is the yak a single or double if you’re taking the young bloke out? My son is starting to come fishing with me now so was thinking of getting a tandem so I can take him out

cherrs

1 hour ago, benno573 said:

the way i see it, i don't have a "real" boat, so i am saving $ straight up on 2 x regos, insurance etc.  to have a toy i can troll for flatties in 30cm of water or chase snapper and macks offshore on the right day with no real ongoing costs, easily transportable etc, for me it was not hard to justify the extra expense.  especially great now i can take the little one for a trip out as well.

Was this part of your business case to the minister of finance? I might use your justification for a kayak as well, but will the minister then say I'll have to sell the boat? 🙂 

I really like the idea of a pedal powered kayak but have been put off as I would would need to get 2 (his and her)

mine is only a single.  and given my daughter is only 2.5, she happily stands in between my legs (on the black circle dadda!), might be a bit more problematic when she is a bit older but for now is all good.  the outback holds 180kg so even with my fat arse there's plenty of capacity and stability.  when she gets a bit older i will likely grab a cheaper kids kayak and tow her around on that one.

also - i would certainly struggle to lift a tandem onto the car!

9 minutes ago, Hweebe said:

Was this part of your business case to the minister of finance? I might use your justification for a kayak as well, but will the minister then say I'll have to sell the boat? 🙂 

I really like the idea of a pedal powered kayak but have been put off as I would would need to get 2 (his and her)

not at all... i had the kayak before the wee one came along, just worked out well in the long term!  back in those days it was a "my money my toys" time... only had to justify it to myself!

On 20/06/2022 at 12:13 PM, benno573 said:

disadvantages:

- generally heavier

- cost

- fins can be a bit limiting in super shallow waters (less than 30cm deep)

- more moving parts so more potential for breakages

Is there a trick for loading a kayak onto a roof rack or roof tray for lifted Prado 4wd? (roof rack is about 2.1m off the ground)

I'm definitely vertically challenged and the thought of loading a kayak on and off the roof tray on my car is off putting due the awkward size and weight

28 minutes ago, Hweebe said:

Is there a trick for loading a kayak onto a roof rack or roof tray for lifted Prado 4wd? (roof rack is about 2.1m off the ground)

I'm definitely vertically challenged and the thought of loading a kayak on and off the roof tray on my car is off putting due the awkward size and weight

Yeah, more Weetbix, Alfie Langer has 9 every morning.😜

And you could try platform shoes to get extra couple inches.😂😂

1 hour ago, Hweebe said:

i'm just an axe mate, 38kg kayak onto the BT50 no worries... 😐

No special technique, just the old lift with the knees not with the back and on she goes.  for the vertically challenged I have seen people stand them up on end against the back of the car and kind of tilt them onto the racks. other than that there are lifter things that lower off the side of racks but they are $$$$$...

the box trailer is certainly a kinder option.