Circle hooks

Ducks Nuts

Hi @Ducks nuts

In my experience fishing with circle hooks opposed to normal ‘J’ style hooks, I have found that chasing larger fish (I.e Threadfin Salmon) is much easier using circle hooks because of their larger mouth, but chasing smaller fish like whiting and trout is better using ‘J’ style hooks. I think is because the smaller mouth means less space for the hook to miss.
Cheers Hamish 

• 4 weeks later...

I've used them on redfin and carp with good success, better then J hooks but I got onto them fishing for shark, Spanish mackerel and GT's when I lived in Darwin and started using them on smaller fish as I liked them so much. 

But for smaller fish you need to use a smaller hook then you would for a J style hook. 

They were particularly good for bream, I'd fish a whole pealed prawn with no sinker and a 1m fluorocarbon leader, just let it drift with the drag on and when a bream picked it up it would dart away with it from the other fish and hook itself. 

For redfin I fish a single worm with the hook in the top and the rest left to trail. 

It works well like that, just don't crowd the hook with bait.