Sashimi bream and flathead?

Sunny boy

Hello fellow anglers, 

Recently i have caught quite a few flathead and bream from Shorncliffe jetty and enjoyed the trip and the fish as well.

However i have run out of recipes for cooking them and wonder if I can make sashimi from these fish? How good do they taste? 

Cheers 

10 hours ago, Junky said:

Put the fillet in a chux overnight in the fridge. Do not freeze. 

Then serve. 

Firms the flesh. 

Thanks mate, Would chux cloth make the fish a bit too dry if put in fridge? I usually put them in freezer bag instead which prevents loss of moisture. 

Bream/ flathead carbonara.

Fillet, cut in small pieces and cook in the carbonara sauce with Brazilian spinach. I do it with blue/ king salmon and its amazing.

The portuguese ancestry in me - firm flesh fish like that I also like using for caldeirada (Portuguese fish stew). Its really easy to make - plenty recipes online.

13 hours ago, Sunny boy said:

Thanks mate, Would chux cloth make the fish a bit too dry if put in fridge? I usually put them in freezer bag instead which prevents loss of moisture. 

Not sure. 

It was done with Spanish for me. Was spot on. 

I don't think you want to much moisture in the flesh as it makes it hard to cut and turns the flesh to goo when handled while cutting. 

Possibly why tuna works well. 

12 hours ago, Junky said:

Not sure. 

It was done with Spanish for me. Was spot on. 

I don't think you want to much moisture in the flesh as it makes it hard to cut and turns the flesh to goo when handled while cutting. 

Possibly why tuna works well. 

For fresh fish caught that i'm not immediately eating but have in the fridge for the dinner in the next couple of nights I'll always do a light salt rub and paper towels.

This keeps the flesh firm and helps with cooking the fish later especially if you intend to grill the fish.

1 hour ago, Hweebe said:

For fresh fish caught that i'm not immediately eating but have in the fridge for the dinner in the next couple of nights I'll always do a light salt rub and paper towels.

This keeps the flesh firm and helps with cooking the fish later especially if you intend to grill the fish.

Copy that. 

My method is purely for sashimi only. 

We were on big cat reality and the skipper mentioned sashimi Spanish Mackerel. Barry the chef, and many others on board thought Scotty was joking. 

Barry did the above method and every afternoon from then on was sashimi Spanish. 

Finally something that Spanish is good for. 😝

Sorry, I've caught lots in the past and don't really eat it any more. 

On 12/07/2022 at 7:29 AM, Sunny boy said:

The fillets will be fine in a moist chux. Not wet, just moist. That is a good way to keep fresh herbs looking good for a couple of days so should work for fish as well.

• 2 weeks later...

The Bream is one of the best sashimi dish in Japan, you could try it if you want, but make sure you clean the inside before cut the meat, specially the black thing inside.

My mom slow fried the bream with little oil, than service with tomato source, it tasted great, or you can try sweet chill source as well.