One of those days - Double Bummer

Neil Stratford

16 hours ago, Neil Stratford said:

With a late start,  we arrived at the ramp just after 7am to find a broken brake cable dragging on the boat trailer. It had rusted through ,and just popped , so I cut it off , and binned it . Bummer No . 1  , fortunately it’s an easy fix for later this week.

One of those days, glad you still managed a fish. Did the trolling motor circuit breaker trip when you hit the log?

Are you going to replace with galv cable, stainless steel cable for the brake cable?

No , the only issue with the Minn Kota was the prop shaft simply didn’t spin . I probably should have replaced the bushes and all the seals in the lower unit , but they looked ok. I’m pretty sure the issue was with a carbon build up on the bushes, the bush casings and the “what’s it” that spins between the bushes. I recon if I would have given the casing a bit of a hit , I could dislodged enough carbon to get me home.
I went for a 4mm galvanised brake cable. $19.99 ex BCF. Fitted it in 10 minutes . I’ve tried Stainless cables before , they aren’t as flexible and also  believe it or not  they rust out pretty quickly .

regards

neil