Anyone wanna come fishing with me this week or next week + report

allgearnoidea

Nice work @allgearnoidea. The river has been pretty quiet landbased for threadies recently but I’ve seen a few getting caught around the port which is a good sign. 

Your sinker will hold better if you use a star sinker, about size 4 or 5, and also if you fish around tide change you will find it easier. 

Cheers Hamish 

19 minutes ago, allgearnoidea said:

Thanks Hamish! I'll keep it in mind, is there any merit to trying during the day?

100% worth it, I've caught most of my threadies at day time. As long as you have livies you are within a chance. In my opinion the main bite killer is crowds, if a jetty has lots of people all crammed in fishing it's not as likely to be successful. 

Also, if your prawns are black I'd probably give it a miss, it just means they are really stinky and a bit rotten. I've only ever caught catfish on black prawns opposed to normal ones. 

17 hours ago, christophagus said:

is it just me, or does no one fish breakfast creek anymore? around the mouth. that place used to be a good spot for all sorts of fish. jew,salmon, cod, snapper even

I drive past breaky creek most days definitely still see people fishing this area year round all the way from hamilton river walk > breaky creak > newstead

Night fishing definitely better especially if you have a cast net (you will need to learn quickly where the snags are)

Live prawn or potty mullet are the gun baits around lit up piers / areas that bait fish congregate around.

Cause the river can run hard I tended to fish before / after slack tide - Was able to keep the baits in the right depths when the current wasn't pushing hard.

On 2/8/2022 at 2:07 PM, christophagus said:

Yeah plus for brekky creek, we used to drive all the way from Ipswich to fish that spot at night when we first got our drivers license. Saw and caught plenty of great salmon there! Saw a 75cm snapper landed next to me during times of drought and high salinity.

On 2/8/2022 at 1:44 PM, allgearnoidea said:

Went to the Bulimba Jetty after seeing the awesome jewfish landed by @Thorbjorn Hale, I fished off about 100m to the side of the pier along the walking path(it seemed kinda busy when I arrived). Brought a pack of frozen prawns in case I couldn't cast net anything, to my surprise there were prawns around so the prawns went used and forgotten for the next few days in my bag (if prawns go black are they still usable as bait? pls lmk). 

Fished running sinker setups on a 7ft and 9ft setup with ball sinkers and a circle hooks. Used live prawns and caught my first ever silver grunter/javelin. Also cast net a big mullet that I returned after a tussle to get it to stay still on my brag mat.

Moved to the pier at about 8pm and fished till about 11pm when the wind picked up, sinkers couldnt really hold bottom, so that was that.

Thinking about going tonight for a bit or maybe Thursday night (are high tides good for threadies?). Learning how to tie dropper loops so I can run some paternosters w live prawns hopefully which can hold bottom. Wouldn't mind having someone to chat to and see if I can learn/catch a thing or two. 

2022 07 26 big mullet.jpg

2022 07 26 Grunter.jpg

Nice work Wilson

i think the threadies should get a bit more active as the water warms up in the next few months. I find the 2 hours before high tide tend to be most productive.

9 minutes ago, Thorbjorn Hale said:

Nice work Wilson

i think the threadies should get a bit more active as the water warms up in the next few months. I find the 2 hours before high tide tend to be most productive.

I'd say your right, providing there isn't much more rain I reckon they will start making their way back up the river as well, as he water cleans.