Just bought my 1st tankara rod.

Bob9863

It's a fly rod, but you don't use a reel. 

You attach fly line to a rope tip section and then your leader. 

This rod is 12ft so I use a 12ft fly line and 6ft of tippet. You cast one handed and when you get a fish you high stick it and either lift it by the line or net it. 

It's great for creeks, or rivers that aren't to wide, it's a very direct form of fishing. 

Here's a very rough video on it. The Americans don't do it nearly as good as the Japanese, in Japan it's almost a religion. 

The season opens up on the 2nd of September, so still a few months off. 

It should be perfect for my area as down the bottom where I am near where it joins the lake there aren't too many big fish. 

There's a 5 fish limit, no minimum size and you can only keep 2 of 35cm.

That protects the breeding stock and most fish are only this sort of size anyway. 

IMG_20220803_162340.thumb.jpg.409e9b2361f75b59aacf706ea63819ed.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got a chance to try it out today, it took a bit to get the casting right as you have to be fairly gentle about it. 

Spent over 2 hours working things out without any bites and then found a school in a deep rocky corner near a bridge and pulled out a dozen in about 15-20min.

So I'm feeling a bit more optimistic for trout season. 

IMG_20220813_160942.thumb.jpg.4cf5edcc951839fd212760606d03ef31.jpg

Both, until I figured out what casting technique works with a fly rod leader. 

It's a bit different and likes a long drop where as traditionally the cast stops  at 45°

Landing is the tricky bit, I lost a couple until I got the hang of it. 

I also started casting better when I switched to left hand. I learnt to cast left handed when I started finesse fishing, and it seems to carry over. But it's, also very accurate casting, very direct. I just cast and sort of point where i want it to go with the rod. 

One thing I found out that made it harder for me was that I used too long a tippet. 

With conventional fly fishing you might have 10ft of leader and 3-4ft of tippet. But with tenkara there's no leader so I was using 6ft of tippet, but I should only use 3-4ft, even 2ft can be fine at times. 

I'm really looking forward to trout season, ultralight finesse lure and plastics on the spin and this new weapon. 

That's a, deadly combo I hope.