Creek/river fishing Mackay

Stevo83

Hi all, I've recently purchased a tinny and was planning on taking it in one of the local creeks/rivers this weekend in Mackay, just wondering if any locals could give me a heads up on where would be a good spot to try I'm a bit worried about getting caught out by tides, not knowing about structure rock walls etc any advice would be greatly appreciated 👍

Welcome to the forum Stevo83.

Don't know much about fishing your area.

Best bet is to drop into a family tackle shop and

ask for a few hints.

Don't be worried about being embarrassed about not

knowing much, most tackle shops will help out as the

more you go fishing the more bait and tackle they sell.

When seeking imfo it pays to purchase something from the shop

so your not just using their knowledge.

I'm in the Townsville area and I generally fish the top hour each side of the tide,

high or low. Just look out you don't run out of water and get left high and dry.

Good luck and post up how you go.😀

1 hour ago, Stevo83 said:

Thanks for all your replies, I took the boat out and learnt a few valuable lessons about making sure everything on your boat is good to go before putting it in the water! But apart from that it was a good day out, feeling a bit more confident for next time now ✌️

How'd you go on the fishing front ?

Thanks for all your replies, I took the boat out and learnt a few valuable lessons about making sure everything on your boat is good to go before putting it in the water! But apart from that it was a good day out, feeling a bit more confident for next time now ✌️

Can't go wrong with a small electronic checklist. 

I use one for camping / fishing / 4wd cause there is always something you forget to bring / do before a trip.

This helps me greatly when its an early start and the brain hasn't quite boot up.

I've forgotten everything from tackle bags, rods, bait you name it but once a got the checklist going this stop me forgetting a lot of things

The little time I had between working out the sounders power issues and the electric motor issues I managed to get a golden trevally and and a Mack tuna, a checklist will be a must next time for sure along with testing everything before the boat leaves the shed!

Sounds like fun, i use to live in Arlie Beach, great area out there all the way to Mackay, all of the small reefs will hold big gt if thats the sought of fishing your into, just be careful of the sharks, had them chase fish all the way to the boat.

3 hours ago, Stevo83 said:

Yeah I hear you, my pet forget was the electric remote.

You'll find once you get every thing in its place you'll feel a lot

more confident in your gear and self.

Keep at it.👍

46 minutes ago, Angry51 said:

Yeah I hear you, my pet forget was the electric remote.

You'll find once you get every thing in its place you'll feel a lot

more confident in your gear and self.

Keep at it.👍

100% agree once the basics are sorted out, its less time troubleshooting / figuring things out and more time with a line in the water and a chance of catching fish.