Chasing Schoolies

ellicat

On 13/08/2022 at 11:18 AM, ellicat said:

Interesting point is that we caught all fish trolling into the current.

Which direction was the sun if there was any, i've heard this is also a factor when creating silhouettes in the water with the lure (can't remember if it is into or away from the sun that is recommended)

So Paravane was more effective than the Qantas lure I assume?

We were trolling north/south and the sun was north to northwest. So any shadow would have been in front of the lure on our southerly run against the current. However the sun was behind the clouds all day.

The trolling board definitely was the winner on the day but the laser pro paid for itself with about 5 ?? @Old Scaley

I really like Schoolie Mackerel, used to catch plenty from anywhere around the Bribie blinker, out to the Bird Cage, 4 Beacons etc. Good fighters, good to eat, what's not to like.

However now that I live and fish out of Yeppoon, these are no longer really an option for me, i've managed to get just one of a few years of trying.

Can't wait to move back to Brisbane/SEQ area for the fantastic fishing there.

6 hours ago, Hweebe said:

Any spottie or spanish macs there?

No, not unless you go out to the Swains which is a few hundred KM out to sea, to far for my 5.8m. I've not caught a Spanish Mack and have been trying for 3 decades now, tried here a lot but the water quality is usually too poor and to shallow for them, not much if any bait around either. might have to wait till I move back to SEQ to snare one. Much better fishing around Brisbane than Yeppoon.