Surf casting distance

djpalmer88

Hey, I've just picked up a rod and reel for beach fishing - A shimano coltsniper BB 10'6" MH and Diawa saltist MQ 5000D-H. I had a couple hours down at a local beach over the weekend with no luck, I was looking for deeper pools / gutters which I seemed to be hitting and I was using 65g metal lures. . At a guess I'd say I was casting no farther than 50-60m?

My question is do people tend to cast much further out past that sand bar to deeper water or is it generally the closer to shore gutters that are going to be more successful?

Cheers

I'm usually looking to drop the lure on or just in front of the sandbar length to target the predator fish trolling this front channel for dazed bait fish that have come over the sandbar into the front deeper channel.

If i can find where the sandbar breaks and where water is retreating (the rip) then i'm trying to land as far a cast as as I can and ripping the lure through this area.

21 minutes ago, Hweebe said:

I'm usually looking to drop the lure on or just in front of the sandbar length to target the predator fish trolling this front channel for dazed bait fish that have come over the sandbar into the front deeper channel.

If i can find where the sandbar breaks and where water is retreating (the rip) then i'm trying to land as far a cast as as I can and ripping the lure through this area.

Thanks Hweebe that makes sense.

I prefer an incoming tide when the bait pushes in and the water is deeper, but have had success on all tides. I think the main thing is to find an obvious gutter with sweep and an opening at each end of it. Sometimes at low tide you are able to walk/wade out to the first sand bank and cast into the deeper water at the back...just watch out it doesn't creep up on you and leave you stranded. 😳

14 hours ago, ellicat said:

Agree with @Hweebe. Peak bite time = dusk and dawn.

Yep, if I'm 4wd/beach fishing Teewah, I'm usually not in a rush to wet a line until the arvo as I still want to spend time with the fam on the beach.

I'll get there around brunch time find a good gutter that will likely build (incoming) or get closer (outgoing) for the afternoon as I watch nearby weekend fishos throw a line out at midday (peak sun / heat) with limited success.

It's usually not until they start packing lines in ~2pm that I'm starting to work the gutters from about 2pm until dusk.

I'm lazy by nature and have had better success this way. Don't get me wrong you can catch fish all day round, just prefer to have a nice shady lunch instead of standing in the midday sun.

The later fishing session also has the added advantage of avoiding the inevitable traffic snarl on the way back south on the Bruce highway that happens around 3-5pm.