Flathead a plenty

Neil Stratford

37 minutes ago, Neil Stratford said:

Went for a trip down to the Jumpinpin area this morning with my brother.It was a cracker of a morning , with just a slight westerly blowing.

The flathead we’re on fire , we keep 3 nice eating sized ones , and would have released approx 30 others. Plenty of double hook ups , at one stage my brother got 5 in 5 casts and I managed 3 from 3 at the same time. Also brought home a nice  by catch feed of tailor that took a likely to our plastics. 
We just wedged the boat up against a tree on  the bank in about 6inches of water and picked them off basically one after the other on plastics as they moved down a tiny channel in front of us. 
Interestingly whilst we were parked up , we saw 3 different boats  check the same crab pot. 2 of them had yellow stickers on the sides. Don’t know who actually owned it , maybe none of them?…🙈

8108D432-CFDE-4551-8937-2BDDA62F1DC6.jpeg

Why do you snap the fishes necks like that?

7 hours ago, Neil Stratford said:

we saw 3 different boats  check the same crab pot. 2 of them had yellow stickers on the sides. Don’t know who actually owned it , maybe none of them?

Fairly sure that the commercial boats have the yellow/black rego numbers. So 2 different boats from the same operator could have checked the one pot. But the 3rd regular boat might have been looking for a free feed.

1 hour ago, Hweebe said:

For Tailor I make a cut under the gills to bleed and snap the necks (quick kill / stop more blood being pumped around) 

The neck snap is a cleaner (less bloody) way to maintain the eating qualities.

Thanks, I don't really catch anything these days, so I don't really have to worry that much. If I want to eat fish I have to go buy it.

On 16/8/2022 at 11:02 PM, turdle said:

Fairly sure that the commercial boats have the yellow/black rego numbers. So 2 different boats from the same operator could have checked the one pot. But the 3rd regular boat might have been looking for a free feed.

Would not surprise me one bit if it was a recreational fishers pot not belonging to at least two of the three parties involved

Edited by jon