Camera Buggered

Brian D

mate...i have an olympus all weather...4 mega pixel....never had any trouble with it...easy to use and quite small but still takes an awesome pic....2 yrs old anf then i paid bout 500 bucks i think...shoujld be cheaper now...can i put a pic up now? [img size=448]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/tern_sunset.JPG

Dunno about water resistant, thats a big ask.

But we use nikon Coolpix's at work, they are indestructable. I dropped one off a bridge last year, it fell 3 metres onto concrete, bounced into the mud. Went and retrieved it, the little shuuter that closes over lens was broken off, but otherwise fine. Still going strong (with no shutter!).

They are also small enough to go in a shirt pocket without being annoying, they also actually put the date and time on the photo, (rare in modern digital cameras, they tend to just put a time stamp into the saved image that the printing software finds and adds at the time of printing, which is totally useless when you want to keep and look at your photos on your computer!)

They also take SDram cards, the cheapest most readily available, and they take AA batteries, (we use disposable batteries at work, easier) but a set of rechargable AA's is 1/4 the price of a spare propriatory battery for most normal camera's, and if your caught with flat batteries, costs $4 to buy a set of 4 from the local shop and keep going.

Oh yeah, the newer ones have 5X optical zoom, and take DVD quality video.

Olympus have a new camera out, it is the mju720SW. It is both water and shock restistant (apparently). Water resistant to a depth of 3 metres (so if you drop it in the shallows and get it back or if it gets a splash it should still be good to go. Shock restistant from a height of 1.5 metres so you can drop it too. Retails around the $500 mark, 7.1 mega pixels and plenty of other features.

I will be getting one myself soon as the kids killed my cannon by dropping it in the sand at recent camping trip to noosa northshore. Most places are fairly competitive on price if you know what you want you can shop around, ebay has plenty of these cameras listed by importers but you only really save about 20 bucks and you could likely bargain that out of most retailers anyway.

You can check them out on the Olympus website for all the details but it is definetly what I am looking for.

I got myself the Olympus mju720 SW on the weekend and I'm very impressed with it so far. As said before it is waterproof to 3 metres and shock resistant from a height of 1.5 metres. All up for the camera plus a 1 gigabyte card and a mini tripod cost me $630. It is a very nice lilttle unit that is easy to use and takes a good photo for a hack like me. I just don't know if I can convice myself to stick it under water though. Whilst reading though the manual it says that if you use the camera at the beach in the salt water you should just drop it into a bucket of fresh water for a about 10 minutes to get the salt of (I just can't get my head around that sort of thing) If it gets covered in sand or fish slime off your hands then you just rinse it off under the tap, very cool indeed .:woohoo:

Cheers Kev

Hey Toxic - I don't think I could dunk my camera either. Weird thought that.

How many photos can you get on the mega card you got?

But I can say this: mine is now an insurance claim cause it \"fell into the pool\" - ;)

All I have to do is fax the receipt and they send me a new one. Oh yeah excess $150

Cool! I am a bit happier now:cheer:

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2006/09/12 16:39

Archived