Schultz and Nudgee Creek This Arvo

Dan23

Got to finish work at 3pm this afternoon so I nipped down to try Schultz. The tide was up high and nothing was biting my lures so I soon packed it in. I saw a guy who looked like Troy there too. Was going to say hi but didn't in case it wasn't him and I freaked some random out by blabbing on about some fishing website.

Anyway, I decided to go have a second crack at Nudgee Creek. Kev and I had a bit of a go a few weeks back and got nothing, but I really like the look of that spot and at high tide the water is a nice aqua colour that just screams lure fishing.

So I cast for a good couple of hours into a variety of great looking structure with no interest in any of my lures. I was really starting to get disheartened. I had fished all arvo and only caught a herring! lol.:huh:

Eventually I found a spot right at the mouth where there was a sand flat running off into a nice channel. Small eddies were building up and baitfish were getting stirred up. I cast an sx40 in there for about 15 minutes without a touch so I switched to my Towadi. I got one surface break but no hit. I nearly moved on but my instincts and knowledge told me this was the spot to be in.

So I went back to an Sx40 but in a gold colour. This was the right call as I soon felt a heavy weight on my line. At first I thought it was a Flattie because the hit was sluggish but when my line started heading for the snags I knew it was something more fun. After a quick and fun little fight on 4lb line I got rewarded for an afternoon of persistence with a nice little cod.

I might go back again tomorrow morning. It's the nicest spot I've found in Brissie so far. [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/codnudgee.jpg

post-1402-144598436657_thumb.jpg

Nah, I got lots of taps but they may have been toadies. I really want to suss Nudgee creek out because it is really scenic compared to Schultz which isn't the nicest looking place to fish. I don't like the fact there's a treatment plant there but I catch and release anyway. I just love the colour of the water at high tide. It reminds me of some spots in NSW, clear but still murkey enough to not have to use 2lb leader. With the tidal mangrove flats too it must hold good numbers of Jacks there. I wish I had a Kayak up here to explore it properly. There's even a dedicated Canoe launch with a rinsing station!

Tim a wrote:

Good hussle dan, I've fished Nudgee creek a fair bit and I'm guessing by the sand you were fishing near the mouth with those sunken tree snags?

yeah, you can see structure there to cast at and I think the fish hang there on the run out waiting for baitfish to come off the flats. Haven't tried the run in yet but it might be better then.

I really want to suss it out because it's a great looking spot. I also tried for a bit around the Canoe launch but no luck. There's a spot there where a little creek runs out that should produce fish.

I haven't managed any bream yet though which is really weird. I've seen them there at low tide the first time I went and I hooked one. Maybe they are more spooky and need 4lb leader. I was using 8.

Is that where it kind of sticks out to the left and at high tide the pilons are pretty deep under water? You can cast straight off the boardwalk? I had a quick try there yesterday but just toadie central. Was using an Sx40 though and working those drop offs not out in the deeper water.

If its the place I think your thinking of no, that's fairly close to the mouth? if you can, walk accross the flats at the mouth to a creek that's only there at low tide.

Also the place I was talking about you have to walk along the board walk for about 10 minutes from either the canoe launch or other car park.

Couldn't help myself so I quickly ducked in to Nudgee Creek again this arvo after some xmas shopping. Got two hookups that I dropped. One was a big big flathead well over 70cm. It must have swallowed my plastic on the drop because I gave a big heave to snap it up off the bottom and felt a huge weight. Pulled the thing right up out of the water and It made a huge splash. But the hook didn't set right and she got off. To tease me she went around boofing the surface smashing up baitfish every now and then for the next 30 mins.

Got three big hits on a popper too right on sunset. Must have been taylor or something. I was getting hit as soon as my lure hit the water but had no luck hooking up.

So no fish landed this arvo but still lots of fun. Only downer was I snagged another Sx40. I'm thinking I might go there at low tide and see if I can find them tomorrow. People will think I'm crazy wading out to look under snags.

Tomorrow I'm only taking surface lures so i can't go back to using anything else. My new mission for the Summer is a surface caught fish at Nudgee Creek.

whatnow wrote:

would of been awesome seeing a big flattie swimming round the surface smashing bait that must of been a big pull to take it out of the water! my big flathead also felt like a snag first hooked

Yeah, I kinda just pulled on it hard out of anger at being snagged. I couldn't actually see the flattie swimming but I could hear and see the massive surface strikes. It really was impressive like being up in the top end or something.

Archived