Daiwa Free Swimmer BR

Hi all,

I haven't caught anything recently so am feeling a bit sorry for myself and decided I am going to buy a new setup. I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on the Daiwa Free Swimmer BR reel and whether it is worth the money?

I would probably be buying the 8000 size model and pairing it with a 10 foot 10-15KG rod. 

Cheers Hamish

22 hours ago, ellicat said:

Thanks Brian. 

9 hours ago, Rebel said:

Before you buy. Have a look at the Penn range especially the Penn slammer 4 range. I have several Penn reels, but the standout is the Penn slammer 4500hs. Super reel.

Good luck.

Will do Rebel. 

• 3 weeks later...

It seems like a pretty good reel for the money, most of the free spool type reels like that are mid mang and rugged.

I picked up a couple of Shimano Thunnus for just a little more and so far they seem like brilliant reels, but I'm yet to try them on the really big fish that I intend too.

I'd like to see how the diawa handles a decent shark ir similar to see how it handles the big fish.

40 minutes ago, Bob9863 said:

It seems like a pretty good reel for the money, most of the free spool type reels like that are mid mang and rugged.

I picked up a couple of Shimano Thunnus for just a little more and so far they seem like brilliant reels, but I'm yet to try them on the really big fish that I intend too.

I'd like to see how the diawa handles a decent shark ir similar to see how it handles the big fish.

I've decided on the Free Swimmer instead of the Thunnus this time but I'm definitely hoping to acquire one in the future as they do seem like a great reel. I wouldn't mind testing the Diawa reel with a big shark this summer either. 

34 minutes ago, Rebel said:

@AUS-BNE-FISHO I have the 12ft Veritas rod. Great beach rod. Matched with a Penn clash 5000 reel.

Good to hear Rebel.

Just looking at the specs they are a brilliant reel for the money, very close to the thunnus buy about $70 cheaper, and they look the business.

I think I'd take one over a baitrunner D, but the thunnus being designed for bigger fish makes it more suitable for my purpose.

Or so I think, but if the diawa takes off they might build an even beefier reel that might outshine the thunnus.

That I would love to see, a proper big tough fish live baiting reel.