Rockhampton / Awoonga misson

ryno1983

Hey guys,

Thanks to a lot of you for all your advice over the past 6 months.

I obviously still have a lot to learn after a trip to Rockhampton and Awoonga on the way home which produced little fish.

Managed a few flathead in rockhamption biggest 54cm, though due to all the rain water was released down the Fitzroy which put the river into shut down mode, so no chance to chase a barra.

So on the way home dropped into Awoonga for a look. Fished 2 days solid and got a few dumps but no hook ups. Tried trolling 150 vipers, hyper vipers, halco lures at different depths and speeds to the right of the ramp and across from the ramp on the other side of the dam. Also flicked various squiggies and bozos with no luck.

A few were being caught but no good for me this time. Saw this guy at the ramp who had caught a 112cm barra on a very cheap spin combo with 30lb braid attached to 60lb leader with a few granny knots, with a cheap red kmart hard body attached to the leader with a few more granny knots. Hahaha good on him, but hurt a little considering there I was with my expensive setup and fancy knots but no results.

So back to the drawing board to learn more and im definitely back early 08 great place and provided many goodtimes.

As feral said you are trapped just think how many barra dams are in Qld and you have to fish them all. Then you need a egrell or loomis rod and maybe a black sheep to go with it. Just go back over some of Brian Dawsons old posts to see how you are in danger of a severe addiction of which there is no cure.

Cheers

Ray

Yeah its become an addiction now. I can understand you other guys now!

Yeah heaps of crabs around! Though also heaps of other people willing to check your pots for you and not even bother to do them up again. Though got a good feed!

Got all the flatties at cooromon creek. From the jetty that is close to emu park where a new housing estate is going in we turned right and went down the creek until just around the bend there are some nice flats and further down a little inlet. Got them all on nuke chicken on the flats on the incoming tide.

Also tried on the sand flats at the front of corromon creek, flicked hardbodies at the timbers at the mouth also and went left at the private ramp on the other side of the creek and tried down that creek fishing the deep banks for barra. Corromon was also holding alot of crabs.

rayke1938 wrote:

As feral said you are trapped just think how many barra dams are in Qld and you have to fish them all. Then you need a egrell or loomis rod and maybe a black sheep to go with it. Just go back over some of Brian Dawsons old posts to see how you are in danger of a severe addiction of which there is no cure.

Cheers

Ray

I have found the cure - catch fish! :P I got 2 my 1st trip and only 1 the 2nd trip. I will go back because I am looking for the mother load. :woohoo: I want 10 in one sesson.

Awoonga is getting harder to fish so other dams may be the go for a while but realy I think it's got a lot to do with that stupid cold winter we had. It knocked the ass out of most dams.

I'm looking forward to Monduran in Oct/Nov if teh winter is not too cold.

Archived