Catch and Release BRC

rayke1938

Following on from Shortys suggestion in a thread on keeping sharks alive has any thought been given to having a catch and release section for next years classic.

Maybe it could be restricted to particular species.

It would be a bit hard to have to take a bass back to release and very stressful to transport one to weigh in.

I would envisage that the fish would still have to be brought back to weigh in which poses another question how long can you keep a fish in a live tank and how stressful is it to the fish?

One for John and Angus to mull over.

What are your thoughts?

Cheers

Ray

whilst open to obvious cheating etc a photo section would be good as shortie said that way nothing dies and it looks good to the media and the greenies:)

maybe and official brc brag mat for the photo entries thais would narrow the cheating down to dan photobucket and a bloody marlin :P

Maybe it should just be a best picture contest:dry:

The current rules are for the weight of the fish. When it's a close call (as was the Miscellaneous category last year) measuring would be very controversial. We've already seen that in the FOTM comps.

To reduce fish loss etc, maybe having a minimum weight or length to be eligible for each fish type could work. e.g Threadfin 80cm/6kg; Bullie 90cm/3kg; Bream 35cm/0.5kg etc etc. This could be adjusted before the start of each day in line with what the 3rd largest fish was the prior day.

If you don't want to drive to the weigh in for a potential winner then don't. Just let it go. Remember entering is optional. That's what I do when the Hervey Bay comp is on (and the rest around Australia) - I choose not to enter. :whistle:

Some days I'll drive to the Sunny coast for a fish and visit some rellies and there's not even the potential for a prize! :pinch:

Yeah, I totally understand the reasons the guys didn't post up current leaders etc not wanting people to be discouraged etc.

But I guess if people knew a target size then they could throw more fish back in. I think it's a difficult thing to figure out.

Gazza wrote:

I fished many comps and a Mystery weight was used ;)

That way all catch and release fish could be entered and there's no point in cheating :P

Gaz

The weight is chosen by the organisers and placed in a sealed envolope and opened at the last weigh in ;)

does this work with the fish closest in weight to \"x\" wins how cool is that my 70mm bream could have won lol

rayke1938 wrote:

It would be a bit hard to have to take a bass back to release and very stressful to transport one to weigh in.

I would envisage that the fish would still have to be brought back to weigh in which poses another question how long can you keep a fish in a live tank and how stressful is it to the fish?

Ray, I wanted to touch on your question here about keeping fish alive. It is relatively simple but does require only one thing, as most know, Air. The catch itself is the most stressful to fish more so than the actual keeping of them. I have had no issue keeping most fish from bream to whitting in very slightly saline (salt) water for months. Temperature is the biggest issue for the caught fish as it tends to go up very quickly in the buckets or tanks they are kept in.

I think in the next Classic, the lads may choose to have a live tank for display, this will mean the fisher only has to get the fish there. But even better a raffle can be held for the catch total weight and also auctioned off, this will include non fishos to participate.

I think there should be a limit of numbers of fish for the catch, like five of any species for any fisher.

Dont know if much of that makes sense, it has been a long day.

to keep any fish alive in aboat the water needs to be replaced continuously with pumps etc...i have an in pump and one out pump, both of the same capacity, just flick the switch and alls good, i also have a pick up that puts water in while under way and i run the out pump while moving, but ya gotta make sure that it gets rid of as much as is coming in.. i adjust how much the intake is in the water but still have to keep an eye on it.....

the photo format is a much better way to go but ya just gotta trust people...hahahahaha

always a drama eh !!

ive heard that there is some good software available for these types of comps but would not have a clue as to where to get it..

maxi

I still like the idea of having fishing pics taken on brag mats with a nominated finger or group of displayed. On friday morning before fishing its announced that fish intended on being entered will photographed on a brag mat with say left pinky extended in the pic. On Saturday its announced that it will be right thumb etc etc...

Same idea could be used for FOTM entries with a mystery digit announced on day 1 of the month, this would render 99.99% of photos taken prior to the start of the month ineligible (not that I hope anyone cheats!)

Other comps use items such as stubbie lid, cigarette lighter etc, but you could imagine the frustration of catching the once in a lifetime monster and not having and stubbies on board to use the lid. But everyone has fingers to use.......

bootyinblue wrote:

I still like the idea of having fishing pics taken on brag mats with a nominated finger or group of displayed. On friday morning before fishing its announced that fish intended on being entered will photographed on a brag mat with say left pinky extended in the pic. On Saturday its announced that it will be right thumb etc etc...

Same idea could be used for FOTM entries with a mystery digit announced on day 1 of the month, this would render 99.99% of photos taken prior to the start of the month ineligible (not that I hope anyone cheats!)

Other comps use items such as stubbie lid, cigarette lighter etc, but you could imagine the frustration of catching the once in a lifetime monster and not having and stubbies on board to use the lid. But everyone has fingers to use.......

Cool i will take a pic of my fish with every finger i own.

If people want to cheat that badly they will always fins away.

Official measuring stick colour of stick changes every year. Pick up measuring stick at sign on time.

• 3 months later...

Im really keen to get involved in this when I come, when does it start this year?

One thing im not too keen on though is killing everything I catch, im pretty enthusiastic about releasing most of my fish once I have enough for myself, even on charters.

I remember last year when I first joined the site someone had posted pictures of about 40 fish he had caught back in his garage (think it was tailor). I remember thinking, what a waste.

I take it in the competeition you must bring all your catches back dead?

Cheers

jamie

• 6 months later...

Thanks for all your suggestions. We have now created two solely photo and release categories for this years BRC and allow people to weigh-in all other fish dead or alive (it is their choice).

As stated in the 2008 BRC Rules people will need to take the photo with the unique item given to them when they report for briefing.

Archived