Pin and surroundings.. what a day

br4d

Alright guys, im new to this (site and forum)

Took the tinny out today from Rudy Maas and went down to the JumpinPin for a bit of a fish, left with a full tank of juice. After a bit of fishing ended up goin down to Tipplers for a feed. On the way back went down around the pig sties near the pin bar there. was low tide and needed to cross to the other side, untill motor started to cough and splutter. Picked up the tank and it felt pretty empty.

Anyway, we manadges to get half across the bar and had to row to the other side against the chop with some oars that i wouldnt recomend. Sucked a few liters of fuel off some helpful guys on the other side , offered some money but they didnt accept, so we were on our way. Got halfway to the boat ramp and she stopped again. Hauled down some young chaps guys who just happend to pass by when we stopped, so a few more liters of fuel off them, and they were more then happy to take the money lol.

She started up fine and we were about 2 go again, untill the young guys boat who gave us fuel wouldnt start. I ended up towing them back to there boat ramp at cabbage tree, which was a very long and slow trip, having to stop once on the way to get more fuel. To be honest we were expecting the 20 back but we were just happy to be back. Got the boat back to Rudy maas and we were off!

Overall it was a sucky day with nothing decent caught, overcast weather and a long and painfull trip back home.

How did everyone else go?

How big is your tank and motor?

How big is your boat?

If you dont have a fuel leak somewhere, the general safety obligation requires you to carry enough fuel to get to where you are going, enough to get you back, and 1/3 over. So I reckon your up for a much bigger fuel tank before you go out again!

You went across a bar knowing you were low on fuel? go buy yourself a casket ticket, your very lucky to still be with us.

lol hang on buddy, i did a fair bit of tracking around and left with a full 20L tank. I didnt actually cross the bar, i was just in the jumpinpin bar area. And i didnt realise it would chew up the petrol that quick, as its the first time iv took the boat out, its a 12ft tinny with a 25hp. Pretty sure i dont have a fuel leak.

I'd reckon something is wrong, you should have gone all day on that much fuel with that setup, I thought your were going to say it was 5/6m glass boat with a 130hp donk or similar. Graham has almost the same setup and didn't use 20litres for the whole week we were at Awoonga!

Was it planning ok? check the fuel line connection to the motor, they sometimes leak there, check the breather on the tank (I had one that used to vibrate all the fuel out!) But that sized motor on that size boat I would expect better economy. What about your prop, have not got a ski lice prop on it or similar?

yeh i think something is up. Plugs are only new. Carby might need adjustment. It ran alright but it didnt seem to have the up and go like it use to have back when my old man use to take me out in it before i had my licence. Will have to sort it out before i take it out next time. Aswell as an extra jerry can of petrol for emergancies! lol

i can do 50 litres easy at the pin but ive an OLD 85 i think age of engine can have a huge difference on econmy as can load and driving if i load my boat with 4 people and drive it hard i can use 50 litres in an hour but damn its fun

my old tinny with a old johno 25 would go to mud and back on 15 litres at flat out speed the whole way there and back

Well i got a johnson 25 and its a 1991 model. I still think something is up, ill have a look threw the week and let you's know. Also, does anyone know of some reef thats close by? I want to take some mates out for a bit of reef fishing.

br4d wrote:

Well i got a johnson 25 and its a 1991 model. I still think something is up, ill have a look threw the week and let you's know. Also, does anyone know of some reef thats close by? I want to take some mates out for a bit of reef fishing.

I dont know... 25hp with assuming a 20lt tank full to the brim is a fine line for an all day fishing especially if you are up and back and around and around a few times. Sound like the higher end of fair consumption to me.

I take 44lts (2 tanks) with me when I go out and normally come home with 22lt (1 tank spare). Call me cautious, but too much is better than not enough.

br4d wrote:

Wellington point or Scarborough are the closest reefs.

Archived