Advice on fixing reel seat.

Rocket75

I recently came into possession of a 2nd hand 24kg roller tip Shimano Backbone.

It was cheap as, but had one small problem...the reel seat had come away from the blank and spun around with the slightest application of pressure.

On a previous thread I received advice (thanks guys!) on fixing this problem with judicious application of araldite or one of it's cousins in the sticking business.

This is my first attempt at such an operation, my only previous experience being some DIY rod tip repairs:blush: so this is a big step up on the skill level for me :unsure:

To access the the problem area and apply said sticky stuff, I first had to clear a path on the blank to slide the seat up (unfortunately this area of grip was well and truly stuck down. Bloody hard work!

I chose to clear the area below the reel seat (closer to the gimbal butt), as I wanted the grip above the fixed seat to be in original condition as that is where I am most likely to be holding the rod when in action.

In hind site, it may have been easier to clear the area above the reel seat (toward the tip), as the blank seems to taper slightly in that direction, which would have made it easier to slide the reel seat up.

After much time spent scraping and peeling away layers of old glue and what looked like cardboard, I am at the point of now trying to refix the seat into position.

[img size=314]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/rod_repairs_002.jpg

One unforseen problem has arisen.

Now that I am back to "bare" blank, the reel seat has too much clearance and feels like it needs some kind of packing to make a tighter fit. If I were to try and pump the void full of "sticky stuff", I think that it would be hard to get the reel seat aligned correctly, and would take LOTS of glue.

I am toying with the idea of using masking tape around the blank, laid down tightly over the area under the mounting point to bulk it out to just short of the reel seat binding on it.

My main concern with this plan is if after some time or when under strain, the masking tape gives way and I'm back to square one.:angry:

I'm open to ideas on my next step...lets hear em!

Thanks for reading.

post-953-144598439567_thumb.jpg

Araldite. But it in a mix pack from bunnings. You mix the 2 parts together. Couldnt be simpler.

Spread it under where the reel seat belongs. Slide reel seat over the top. wipe of excess. Couldnt be simpler.

If it requires a lot of packing spread it over where the reel sest belongs. Allow to set. Sand back down to required fit. Spread again slide reel seat into place.

I find a paddle pop stick the easiest way to mix it together and spread it.

Richard.

Yep shorties pretty much got it nailed.

I have in the past used tooth picks around the edge just to make sure the gap is the same all round (when the gap is big). (just push the tips of the tooth pick into the gap at 3 or 4 points around the circle, cut them off carefully when it has set)I'd use a longer setting araldite to give you adjustment time.

i dont know if it will work but ive seen this stuff called "kneed-it" has different types for different applications - it looks like blu tac and you kneed it into the shape size you need. i dont know what else is requied but yeah ive seen it at bunnings etc might be worth a try as something to stick underneath and then the araldite around the edge for strength

Archived