AFO Lake Kurwongbah Tilapia Cull

Angus

Dear AFO members.

Well thanks to the Pine Rivers Stocking Association the confirmed date for the AFO Tilly Cull at Lake Kurwonbah has been set as the 9th of March 2008.

Basic Overview:

* Rock up at about 7:30 and fish through till around 2:00pm.

* Each person will be issued with a hessian/shopping bag which they will fill with the tilapia they catch.

* Each bag will be weighed at the end and teh heaviest bag (not the most fish) will win.

* There will be a prize presentation and a BBQ.

* There will be a $20 entry fee will will cover the BBQ, insurance and pay for a lot of native fingerlings to replace the Tillies we take out!

As much AFO support as possible would be greatly appreciated as we help to make this yet another local and productive sport fishery.

Viking has once again pledged its support and a Viking Kayak will constitute one of the prizes.

Regards

Angus

P.S. I will be adding this as both a calendar event and an event you can click to attend under the "Community Tab".

Please Click Here and follow the prompts to register your attendance: http://www.australianfishing.com.au/index.php?option=com_attend_events&Itemid=246

Brian D wrote:

7.30 start - that's lunch time. I think I'll do a session in the NP then cross over. Either that or I'll do a prefish if that's allowed.

I hear u on that one Brian, I'm up for an early NP bash before it. Great idea though Angus, I will be keen to slaughter a few

Hey Guys,

Thanks for jumping in and helping. Angus asked if I could feild some questions on the impoundment and the Tilapia.

1. We've not long ago got the fishing ban lifted, we have no boating access for the Lake, as we build a working relationship with the owners, this may change over time. When events like this run well and leave the place in a good condition it will get easier to build the case for access.

It shouldn't be a problem though, as two months ago 11 inexperienced kids caught over 40 in about an hour and a quarter from the bank. What we can do with our experience should kill this sort of number with our eyes closed.

2. Angus can take up the bait situation with you I'll run some info past him.

3. Taking of Tilapia; current QLD law states you cannot return Tilapia to the water or be be found in possession of them. They recommend disposal well away from the water line. These fish are a mouth brooder and the young can survive long periods out of the water inside the parents mouth. The mongrel things will also breed up to 4 times a year and can cope with lower Oxygen levels and higher salinity than our natives. Fortunately they hate the cold.

According 2 a DPI report 5 fish where released into a closed water way up north and from memory when they poisoned 5-10? years later they dragged out 13000 fish and this still didn't remove the population.

Best we can do is help clear 'em out until the bass,cod and 'toga are big enough to start keeping the population down by themselves.

3. Rigging for Tilapia; this is what we have found that works. No. 6 hook on a 30 - 45cm leader, swivel and a small sinker running to the swivel. Fish light line for best results. I'm told a float rig at the right depth will do damage as well. I'll trial it before the bust day. Worms are as good a bait as any, shrimps are very good as well.

When there is a lot of bait in the water they seem to come on the bite pretty heavily, 3 young blokes we know caught close to 300 between them last Australia Day doing just this with the same rig up. They will also take soft placcies, anyone who fishes NPD can attest to this.

4. Lake Kurwongbah, Mick Hanfling Park located on Beeville Rd Petrie/Kurwongbah. The council will open up extra parking areas for the day.

I hope this helps someone, sorry for being long winded about it.

Thanks Shayne thats brilliant.

I will see what i can do about bait worms. But bare in mind i have gone to an effort already to keep the costs very low and still allow for funds to go towards the stocking.

Although if i can maybe organise a good bulk deal with a worm farmer? Or maybe even sponsorship so to speak, ill see what i can do.

I have caught dozens of tilapia and the vast majority of them where on Bread!

Angus

On the note when there is plenty of bait in the water they come on the bite really well. Would there be any issues with me turning up an hour an a half prior to the start of the comp and pellet (barramundi) burleying a long section of bank to encourage the fish in. This is not specifically for my fishing but for everyones to increase the kill/catch? Any objections there?

CrayfishMates wrote:

That was the plan with the rape lol. I have about 15 20kg (@ $2.80/kg) bags of outdated feed that I can not use in the tanks and thought this would be a prime opportunity to use it for some benefit

I dont see why not at all. Anything to help us catch more numbers. Plus all my experience and research agress with exactly wehat you are saying. The more baits in the water the more action.

Angus

Bri The Pom wrote:

Are Tilapia similar to european carp.What are the common baits to catch them.How big can they grow.

Hey Bri,

They are not similar in appearance. But they are similar in the fact they are a huge pest. They originate in South Africa. I have seen them caught on worms and bread for the most part.

Angus

Bri The Pom wrote:

Are Tilapia similar to european carp.What are the common baits to catch them.How big can they grow.

the way they eat is a bit different from european carp. so it's suggested not to use big bait balls to catch them.

try anything from corn to worms, they have the same diet as carp.

they can grow up to 2-3kg in kuwangbah(spelling?)

The best the resources at DPI can stretch are one session per year which is being done more as a support for monitoring and measurement than an eradication program. Dr Kind at DPI is very supportive of the project and is helping where ever possible.

We currently have a 3 year monitoring and measurement plan in place which is approved by DPI, just awaiting final agreement from water way management.

PLASTICK wrote:

hey guys ill be there i live about 3 mins from there ill also try to get out there a bit more to catch a few im pretty keen on catching them on lures anyone got any suggestions cheers

I hope Jimmybob sees this as he has caught many! I have seen several pictures of Jimmybob with tilapia with a crawdad hanging out there mouths. Although he did say one day at Somerset they were so active they were taking any hard body thrown at them.

I guess the trick would be to get them on the site, berley maybe, and then who knows.

Angus

Archived