AFO Lake Kurwongbah Tilapia Cull

Angus

Thanks heaps for the massive show of support so far guys. This should be a really good day. I have noticed a few people have said they would bring mates. Please go nuts! The more lines we have in the water the more tillies we should beach.

Cheers.

Angus

faulked wrote:

hey kev youll have to come over and show me how to catch these tillies i had a go at it and failed miserably it may have had something to do with my dog running through the water at my feet being chased by a pack of kids but im not sure :laugh:

maybe a prefish sometimes? i am keen to wet my line in FW atm. and i miss the Chinese hera fishing so much, i did a lot of hera/carp fishing back in China and had a go at tournament with no luck

I have fished for them a bit in kurwongbah and we used to smash them on worms. We used to go down for a couple of days in advance and put rabit pellots in every afternoon then go there on the weekend and catch heaps. We caught them on floats and sinkers and one day when they were thick i got some on small flies.

kevinchen19870316 wrote:

u only catch occasional tilapia on lures most time of the yr but if u try bright color lures when they r sprawning, u'll be surprised.

Went camping at somerset over the last week and my son managed one trolling a small spinner [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/IMG_2424_AFO.jpg

post-2146-144598441289_thumb.jpg

Bommie wrote:

kevinchen19870316 wrote:
u only catch occasional tilapia on lures most time of the yr but if u try bright color lures when they r sprawning, u'll be surprised.

Went camping at somerset over the last week and my son managed one trolling a small spinner [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/IMG_2424_AFO.jpg

I might be wrong but I think that is a banded grunter thing, looks the same as those things we catch in Hinze, anyone confirm?

Aaron H wrote:

Bommie wrote:
kevinchen19870316 wrote:

I might be wrong but I think that is a banded grunter thing, looks the same as those things we catch in Hinze, anyone confirm?

Looks like a banded grunter to me.

Angus

Ellicat: There are actually a couple of species of African Mouth Brooders loose in the waterways.

Check this link out to an article i did ages ago. The Tilapia pictured in this article are the ones we will be catching up Lake K.

/>http://www.australianfishing.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=81&Itemid=77

Angus

Thanks Angus. Good article.

They are ugly as sin when they get big. The juvenile one I got (as pictured) is a pretty good looking fish. I caught it below the Wivenhoe spillway about 8 years ago and threw it in my tank for about a week until I discovered the $150,000 fine for being in possession:S It was quickly destroyed lol

They look pretty similar to the banded grunter (which I've not seen in the flesh yet)at that size too.

Hey everyone just a quick upadate.

The entry fee has been revised so that its $20 for adults and $5 for children. This is to encourage families to bring everyone along!

This will also mean that the proze pool will be broken down into Adults and Children as well. But bare in mind this is aimed at raising money for the restocking and is all in the name of fun!

Hope to see you all there.

You can click the link in my footer to register for the event.

Cheers.

Angus

rayke1938 wrote:

Payment details please? Would it be possible to have a link to payment method when we sign on for a event ir would it be too hard to organise.

Cheers

Ray

Ray to save a lot of accounting and banking i was hoping to collect payment on the day and hand it straight over the Pine Rivers Stocking group.

Would that be alright?

Angus

Ok we have gained another Sponsor for the comp.

Viking will be as promised donating a kayak for the heaviest bag of Tilapia (any idea where to get a few dozen hessian bags???).

Strike King Lures are also donating a mixed bag of lures. These will most likely become lucky door prizes for the junior entrants.

Looking forward to it guys.

Angus

Angus wrote:

Ok we have gained another Sponsor for the comp.

Viking will be as promised donating a kayak for the heaviest bag of Tilapia (any idea where to get a few dozen hessian bags???).

Strike King Lures are also donating a mixed bag of lures. These will most likely become lucky door prizes for the junior entrants.

Looking forward to it guys.

Angus

thats awesome! cheers sponsors

EMP wrote:

I'd love to be there and catch all of 'em! I'll get my kid to come with me (and hopefully a few other folks, too).

I better practice how to catch a fish from hereon!:laugh:

Emp click the link in my footer. You can register for that event and see who else is attending etc.

Angus

Angus wrote:

any idea where to get a few dozen hessian bags???

Maybe Shayne has some contacts in the Pine Rivers Council They might come to the party - the hessian bags used for sediment control are perfect, I used a couple in the classic (Unfortunately I had to scrounge them from the Theodore Council , Main Roads does not use them).

Hey everone latest info has been added to the Event Calendar and I will post it here for convenience.

And thanks Feral ill ask.

AFO Lake Kurwongbah Tilapia Cull

The Brisbane Fishing Online Lake Kurwongbah Tilapia Cull will be held on Sunday 2nd of March 2008. This event is aimed to both provide a great recreational fishing outing for the whole family, as well as to improve the future prospects of the dam as a recreational native sports fishery.

For a long time now, Lake Kurwongbah has been overrun with the Noxious fish from Africa known as Tilapia. Not only will this event aim to eradicate as many of these noxious pest as possible, all monies raised by entry fee’s for the competition will go directly back to the PRFMA for the restocking of the dam.

The event will run from early morning until the early afternoon. Entry fee’s will be $20 for adults and $5 for children. Although there will be some token prizes up for offer, we do want to encourage the “bring the whole family” nature of this event as at the end of the day, we are there to have some fun and hopefully assist in something bigger.

The event will conclude with a weigh in, prize presentation and of course what AFO event would be complete without a BBQ. Please click here to register for the event and give the organizers an idea for catering: http://www.australianfishing.com.au/index.php?option=com_attend_events&Itemid=246

Itinerary:

• 7:30am: Arrive and register.

• 7:30-1:00pm: Fish!

• 1:30pm: Weigh in and prize presentation.

• 2:00pm: BBQ.

Event Sponsors:

• Viking Kayaks

• Strike King Lures

• Butchers Block

• Brisbane Fishing Online

• PRFMA

Archived