Shultz Canal/Nudgee Creek

Plastic Fantastic

Hey Everyone,

Seen as though my mate Hugh (fishing_cherry) got his new car today, we thought we might as well check out the Shultz Canal/Nudgee Creek area since its had so many reports. We got to Nudgee Creek at 8.30ish and it was dead low tide. We walked across the sandflats until we got to the main channel of the river and flicked lures around. I just bought a Halco Scorpion in the smallest size (upgraded with owner trebles) and a SX40 in a gold colour so was determined to soley use these all day. Hugh was using soft plastics. We fished for about an hour with the only (worthwhile, toadfish don't count) fish caught was a little whiting on my hardbody - my first whiting on a lure!

We then decided to try Shultz Canal and walked downstream starting at the big bike track thingo. Hugh got a small flathead (~35cm)just before the first bridge. It was only when we got to the first bike bridge that I managed something on a hardbody. First cast at this bridge and I was on to a nice little bream (~27cm), I was wrapped! First bream on a hardbody! Just as I lifted him out of the water for a photo the little bugger dropped off :blush: aw well. Further downstream I managed another decent bream but the batteries died by this time so again no photo! :angry:

And can I just say, what the hell is with the catfish in this canal??? I caught four catfish on my SX40!!! Catfish!!! Every time I hooked up I thought yay a flathead or a cod but alas...catfish....nothing better then catfish slime all over your trebles...

Hugh managed a small bream on the plastics and then we decided to check out Nudgee again as the tide had come in. Caught nothing again but man it looks fishy! So nice and aqua coloured at high tide!

All in all it wasn't too bad of a day, we are heading down to Brunswick heads on Saturday so hopefully we'll have a report with PICTURES then :laugh:

Yeah, I've fished Nudgee creek 4-5 times now and only managed small cod a couple of 35-45cm cod and a few other small fish. It looks great there at high tide with the nice clean "looking" water. But hard to fish there successfully. I think the bream are especially difficult there because they feed up on the mangrove flats at high tide so at low tide they just aren't interested. Tim A has fished there a bit and had some success so he might have a few pointers.

Archived