Southern Bay at a not so Spot X

blue_mako

Went for a fish very early this morning with 2 of my mates to kill a few hours time before work. Was just a short bay trip and with all this hype about this Sunken Barge we thought we’d have a chop. There was a pretty stiff breeze coming in which made it a bit chilly but we carved through it. Anyway we had punched in the GPS marks the night before and we were off to have a look. Hit a few of the regular spots on the way to give us a rest from he pounding waves for a couple of rat Squire, Sweetlip and Bream.

Living off 2 hours sleep we reached the Barge at around 3am. We weren’t expecting much as it was coming into low tide and that’s exactly what we got, nothing. Until the tide had just turned. I was throwing a 3inch Gulp! around and the other 2 a mixture of Plastics and Squid. Dan got the first keeper in at 50cm on a 5inch Powerbait Jerk Shad and by the looks of it, went pretty hard on 8lb Fireline. This tide change really turned it on for us. I got smoked 2 drifts later by a freaking horse which headed straight for Coochie. Judging by the rest of the fish it would have been in the high 60’s/low 70’s which would have been a PB.

Within the next 2 hours or so we had landed 3 bigger legals between 50 and (My) 60cm, which is my second biggest. Every drift we picked up at least 1 fish but the norm being about 3 or 4. Most were small but you just had to stay at it and sort through all the rats. As it was only Dan keeping the fish for a feed we only kept 4 of the biggest. There was a good half dozen to a dozen throw backs between legal and 45cm.

This was definitely one of my better bay sessions. Might be back for more if my mate can get out there before work again in the next few days. By the way, plastics out fished bait that much that Jason changed from bait within the first 15mins.

Troy [img size=490]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/squire.jpg

• 7 months later...

Archived