Brisbane River 23/05/2006 (Tuesday Night)

Terry H

Gday guys

A mate and I headed down to Bretts Wharf on Tuesday for a quick fishing session. I must say, it ended up being rather cold (down to 8 degrees overnight), and trying to cast a net in those temps is absolutely stupid. Wet fingers for long durations = frozen fingers.

When we rocked up, the tide was slowly coming in and someone was already fishing with what looked to be a pack of dead prawns. Not long after we arrived he caught a small shovel nose shark with his prawns. I went to go catch a couple of mullet to ensure we had some form of bait, and my mate said he had caught a shovel nose whilst he was gone. It would have been caught on either a \"wolf herring\"? or dead prawn.

Needless to say, by now the tide had slowed, and when it started going out slowly I caught some prawns and a couple of herring. Using them (prawns) as live bait provided me with a run from some fish (I'm guessing a catfish, who knows) and then that was the end of that live prawn. However the headless prawn won the catfish over, and boy it was a biggy! You can see it in the gallery, it's the 57cm catfish with a rather strange face. The weight was registering 5kg. Sadly, with the raging torrent that is the Brisbane river, and my massive 10' gen. purpose rod, it was hard to tell if it was actually putting up a tough fight or not.

Unfortunately I need to get more storage for fish, to ensure I can keep them alive for longer, my 10L bucket just isn't cutting it:( So sadly my mullet died before I could use most of them.

We called it quits early that night due to the temperature, and fatigue. I'll be sure to have plenty of warm clothing for Friday, along with another bucket.

Good Luck guys, and happy fishing!

Yeha i have found with the current that you eitehr think there is no fish or that its much bigger! Ha.

Anyway warm clothes on friday sounds like dam fine idea to me.

And yeah that big catty you caught is another one of those weird flatheaded ones with the coppery skin. Although yours seems to have a much smaller mouth?

Angus.

I have never used Squid in the river, but as they are naturally occuring there it must be a good bait.

But yeah Mullet strips have worked for me in the past for bullies and big catties. And i sure rays and shovels will take it as well. And everything eats prawns!

ash u wont need to buy bait for this friday.... we wil jst catch it... so this weekend its me, jordan, matt, angus, ash and terry goin to cams rocks?? on friday nite?

lol yeh i dunno about how good the place is for catching bait.... but we can always go over to the pontoon to get it cose i no thers a bit there normally... but i do a spot u can cast net down ther so well c how we go... and with 6 of us down ther we wil have a bit of room to spread out.... beta remember to bring the gaff this time...

id say therd b everything u catch at brets plus maybe jew since thers loads of rocks ther big rocks and small rocks

troy

thanks troy,

there is one more coming too. My mate just registered with the website but is having issues logging on. His name is george. Looking forward to it! Im hoping to get a thredfin! But id settle for a jew!:laugh:

I so wish i could go!!!! I have a school event on - bloody staff senior banquet!!!! anyways u guys will have to do some serious hard core eel fishing with me at carindale, ive seen some monsters over the last couple of weeks, big fat ones....... anyways best luck for tonight hope u guys geta big one.

yours truly

dave

I so wish i could go!!!! I have a school event on - bloody staff senior banquet!!!! anyways u guys will have to do some serious hard core eel fishing with me at carindale, ive seen some monsters over the last couple of weeks, big fat ones....... anyways best luck for tonight hope u guys geta big one.

yours truly

dave

Archived