Effect of tides on fishing

harrystrybos

Hi All

Thank you for all the replies to my previous threads. You all sound like a great bunch of guys.

I have had all sorts of conflicting information with regard to when to fish in relation to how the tide is. Some say only on the full tide, some on the incoming tide, some on the outgoing tide etc....

Today I talked to this lovely elder gentleman at Erobin (i was there at the full tide) and he told me the out going or even the start of the incoming tide was better for fishing. He seemed to think the still water at low or high water was a better time to have a cuppa than to fish.

Being a bit of a mug fisherman, I have been working my way around the bay, looking and testing various spots and talking to various people around the place. Reckon that most fisherman seem to be very chatty and helpful people.

Any comments on this subject from the more experienced people would be useful to both myself and many other people that follow this forum.

Cheers

CrayfishMates wrote:

One hour either side of any tide.

Thanks, buddy. So are you saying that the tidal slack is not so good?

I had a look at your Crayfishmates site. Very interesting. I used to be a mad saltwater aquarium guy back in the late sixties. Mostly we got stuff to survive by regular trips back and forth to saltwater to replenish the tank. Seems the gear has improved since then.

I find that the moment the tide changes that the bites stop for around 10-20 minutes, so I plan to be fishing a couple of hours before and after.

My main concern with tides is that I fish from a kayak so I usually fish an incoming tide, so i can drift up stream and then drift back, it is less effort!

Usually you will find the answer to this question reflects how varied the experience is and what they chase, where and with what methods.

Different species will come on at different spots at different times and different areas will be deathly quiet and then fire up at different stages of the tide. Many places will fish better on a certain stage of the tide but others it will have little impact, lots of variables you just have to find what works for that area.

waldo wrote:

Usually you will find the answer to this question reflects how varied the experience is and what they chase, where and with what methods.

Different species will come on at different spots at different times and different areas will be deathly quiet and then fire up at different stages of the tide. Many places will fish better on a certain stage of the tide but others it will have little impact, lots of variables you just have to find what works for that area.

Thank you for your reply. My experience is very limited. The point of my post was to find some of these answers. Could you give me just a tiny hint with regard to any single situation :dry:

Gday,

I am no expert at fishing but when we fish around the jumpinpin (ie kalinga bank, crusoe island etc) it generally is better within 2 hours of any tide change (that is 2 hours before and 2 hours after LOW or HIGH tide)... We usually target bream cause we love to eat them and you could almost set your clock to the time they go off the bite... As for other species I have NFI :P

Cheers

Woody

G’day mate, it all depends on what sort of fish you are targeting. I chase bream, and fished all tides for them.

There is a saying “no flow no go†and I strongly believe in that saying. I personally like to fish the incoming tides for bream in the Brisbane River and other natural banks you might be fishing.

The reason I say that is because at low tide half the bank is out of the water, you

can actually see were the bream have been feeding on crustaceans

off the rocks on the high tide mark.

sometimes on the slack parts of a tide in deepwater like harries you can get a plastic down which you cant do in the full flow of the tide whereas when the tide is really going youd switch to something bigger and heavier

in the creek in the back yard it seems that first thing in the morning near dawn seems to work witht the fish going off the bite soon after then when the tide comes in the fish come on the bite again different strokes for different spots i guess

jason:)

I was trying to suggest most every spot needs to be tried and tested, maybe to subtle.... pulls out the sledge hammer instead :woohoo:

Some common sense stuff, flats areas fish well for bream and whiting on the last of the high tide, flathead are more easily caught in these areas on th falling tide. Rock walls around the foreshores and rivers fish well between the high water and low water lines so either side of high tide is usually the prime choice either 3 houirs before or 3 after. Bite periods can be extended or shortened by tide sizes.

Heavy snag areas can fish well on slack water. Jew love slack water. Tailor love fast moving water. Fish structure with strong run, open and feature less areas on slack water.

Structure complicates things because it can create very special changes in water flow on some tides but not others. Clarity of water and available light also need to be consdered.

If you are just starting out or trying a new area I would try the 3 hours before high tide first trip, the 3 hours after next trip. You need to feel each different area out and find what works there.

Sorry Harry but there is no right answer here, it depends where you are, season, fish, moon,etc.

Tweed river I found out going tide full moon up river and at the mouth but Brissy, Albert and Logan I found in coming tide is best. You just have to work out each spot and the charastics that turn it on.

I love fishing 6 hours either side of any tide. Anytime from no moon to full moon, with rain or without, clouds or no clouds, day or night etc etc etc, I dont go to much on strong wind though:P MATE I JUST LOVE FISHING;) , To be honest I'm not to fused about the tides etc, Just give me a line and I'll try to catch a fish on it.

Jayson

harrystrybos wrote:

He seemed to think the still water at low or high water was a better time to have a cuppa than to fish.

Can't speak for fishing in the bay, but from what I've found in the river, the turn of the tides are good. When the waters still I tend to find the fish fire up. Anyone else found this?

Joel ;)

obone wrote:

harrystrybos wrote:
He seemed to think the still water at low or high water was a better time to have a cuppa than to fish.

Can't speak for fishing in the bay, but from what I've found in the river, the turn of the tides are good. When the waters still I tend to find the fish fire up. Anyone else found this?

Joel ;)

Absolutely - in the river when live baiting and particularly along the deeper reefs and rubble over near moreton. about an hour either side of the tide is great, and the bite continues through the slack water. on the shallower reefs it is all about keeping the bait/plastic moving on slack water, the fish are still there, you need to find them. Short answer is you have to put the bait in front of the fish, around slack water try a drift with the wind or slow retrieve your bait instead, bounce it on the bottom in deep water and you'll definately get results. Basically, results are totally dependent on where and when you fish, time of day and barometric pressure is more important than tide generally.

CrayfishMates wrote:

One hour either side of any tide.

I'm with you CrayfishMates, my Grandfather swore by the 1hr either side of the tide theory, and it's always worked for me. I usually find top of the tide the most productive too, mind you I mostly just dangle a prawn for bream :)

Archived