Around Cobby Cobby Island 27/1/08

Master Sardines

• 2 weeks later...

Master Sardines wrote:

As usual i take the fishers fishing.

1st pic is a 28ish River Perch the boy caught [img size=413]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/28.JPG

I think this might actually be a "little jewfish" also referred locally to as logan river jew. the jaw structure being heavily underslung and the convex tail give it away. they are pretty common around the whole general 'pin area and grow to about 35cm long. not bad on the chew either if that's why you go fishing.

i'm not aware of a legal size on the little jew/river perch/logan river jew/logan river perch/ that fish in your photo :laugh: (someone please correct me if required - it's not in my book of regulated species 2007)

they definately don't grow very big - according to the wild guide to moreton bay only 30cm. maybe this is why they are unregulated. from memory, we ate one one night when my derro of a mate forgot the snags for dinner so it was either bread and bbq sauce or catch something. it was about 30cm long and had quite a strong flavour like a mulloway and similarly soft flesh (like a soapie). wouldn't throw it back if i was hungry :laugh:

bit like dart on the beach though. there's a point were it is just not worth eating them - there will be a bigger one somewhere. :laugh:

benno573 wrote:

they definately don't grow very big - according to the wild guide to moreton bay

I got that book:)

Comes in handy when working out fish species (like the fish above)

I'm also unaware of any regulations, but from what I've heard, they aren't as common as they used to be and after reading Benno's description of them, they don't sound extra special so I'll just leave them alone:)

Still, they may be worth a try, according to the above book, they were popular among anglers a few years ago

Archived