Mouth Bris River - Mud - Harrys

CrayfishMates

Slipped out with the lads on Sunday night 27/01/08

The original plan was to head across to Curtain Reef. We got to the mouth of the Brisbane River only to find it was blowing roughtly 20knots and 1.5meter chop just past the rock wall. Normally this would not have been a problem but the Bulldog was loaded with 4 blokes, spare fuel and lots of gear.

So I thought we would anchor on the port side edge of the channel, in out of the wind a bit. And on starts a crazy time of fishing in the mouth of the Brisbane River.

The pick was set just on Sunset.

1479e42d676efa.jpg

Species caught:

Sting Ray - Catfish - Shovel Nose Shark - Solefish - Estuary Cod - Catfish - Catfish - Sting Ray - Catfish - Shovel Nose Shark - Catfish - Catfish - Sting Ray. You get the idea :blink: All in all we lost count of the number caught.

This is the biggest Sting Ray caught on 44lb line and Squilchard

1479e42d6893ed.jpg

This is the biggest Catfish 64cm caught on the same as above

1479e42d6a5da0.jpg

This is the biggest Shovel Nose Caught on the same. (it wasnt but hey...)

1479e42d70bff6.jpg

The cod measured in at 45cm from memory.

1479e42d727237.jpg

Around 0100 the lads were asleep and my arm was sore from catching catfish, rays and shovels and it had gone quiet after the turn of the high tide. So the old fella and I thought we would have a look at Mud Island.

Species caught:

Grunters, juv bream, one small squire and lots of loss of tackle. Not very productive at all.

Now the old man is suggesting the wind is picking up around 0330 but it is just him not liking many bumps in the boat so we head back to the mouth only to turn around and head for Harrys Reef a little after day break.

Species caught:

Bream - Squire - Grinner - Slate Bream and a few really fast runners busted off.

The only just legal Squire from the old fella happy as larry.

1479e42d76e629.jpg

Overall a great trip for getting on, hard runs, a few burns and good company. Definitely a bit weary by the end of it without sleep. The tuned prop and hydrofoil we put on the motor really made a difference to the handling of the Bulldog.

Note to self:

Bloody hand on in broad side chop when sitting on a rounded corner fold up chair. Notice all the help I got :silly: Never let go of the rod though :woohoo:

1479e42d75ba08.jpg

Now for the next run to Harrys with faulked 30/01/08

Archived