What to do with new tinny?

Burko

Got a new tinny last year, Brooker 410 fisherman with 40hp suzy 2 stroke. Anyway after using it a few times i feel it needs some work to make my life easier when alone or with the missus and bubs.

Was thinking 2 things,

selling it and replacing with a slightly bigger but older tinny with elec start and PTT (biggest concern for me is starting and lifting leg)

or selling motor and replacing with one with elec start and PTT, if I do this I will also consider converting to centre or side console (another debate?) and adding a pod on the back and infilling transom.

My biggest concerns for my current boat are starting it at the ramp when there is a bit of wind (i.e. blowing me into the other boats), lifting the leg when I come into beach (can be awkward) and water coming over the back when I stop from planing speed. ANy and all help is appreciated.

Oh and I have access to an ally welder to do the pod and transom.

A Console in a 4.1 would take a lot of room out of the boat.

Is you current motor hard to start, or does it just worry you?

I use my electric to manouver near the ramps if I need to.

If you decide on an engine swap, and have access to a welder, you may wish to raise the transom and get a long shaft.

When you come off the plane, ease her down, dont just cut her down to idle immediately.

Yeh we have a tinnie with a cut out for the motor in the transom and have no problems even if we do stop suddenly, try slowing down to get off the plane then move down to idle. I wouldnt go console either and i find the new 2 strokes easy to start (my uncle has a suzuki 30 and its a piece a piss to start) How is electric start gonna make it easier to control at the ramp? Also when coming into a beach or sandbank, We just keep it going then when we get close cut the motor and lift up and it keeps you going into the beach, works fine for us.

i have a 50 horse 2 stroke ,pull start its all about practise ,if u get a chance watch others an see how they launch an retrieve there boats. my boats a 5m and its not to hard, if it gets choppy i roll the trailer deeper into the water and drive the boat on

Power trim and tilt makes life a lot easier.There is a mob advertising after market power trim and tilt units i think they retail for around $800 mark. I dont know if they will handle a 40hp.They are advertised in bush n beach and qfm.

Another consideration is to make a small slop well in front of motor.

If you sold your existing motor and brought a electric start with ptt unit you would lose a lot of money.

Cheers

Ray

Cheers

Ray

Fisher_90 wrote:

Yeh we have a tinnie with a cut out for the motor in the transom and have no problems even if we do stop suddenly, try slowing down to get off the plane then move down to idle. I wouldnt go console either and i find the new 2 strokes easy to start (my uncle has a suzuki 30 and its a piece a piss to start) How is electric start gonna make it easier to control at the ramp? Also when coming into a beach or sandbank, We just keep it going then when we get close cut the motor and lift up and it keeps you going into the beach, works fine for us.

difference between the 30 and the 40 is pretty big. I tried a 30 before I got the boat and thought it wasn't too bad but decided to go for the 40 as I am a pretty big bloke. 40 weighs an extra 20+ kg and seems a lot harder to pull start. (maybe as it is very new still don't know). with elec start I could have it going and steering in the right direction in seconds rather than having to sort myself out after starting. I am just used to bigger boats where you need 2 people min to boat and I figured a smaller tinny would be easy to handle single handed. need more practice I suppose.

Hi Burko, I have a 4.1 tinny with a 30 hp yammy(pull stsrt). And I have just done my homework on converting to a center console.

In my case its not worth the effort, and I have access to a fully equipet workshop and to boilermakers.Also getting the required materials at cost.

The cost of the upgrade would be greater than the difference between, selling my boat and buying one already for the water.

It would be a better idea at the moment to come along to one of our outings, or arrange for someone to take you out and show you some of the finer points about boating and getting used to your boat.

I dont mean to offend, but maybe a couple of pointers will give you a more pleasant boating experence.

I am only too happy to take you out sometime, as I am sure others wouldbe.

Laurie.

Burko wrote:

Fisher_90 wrote:

difference between the 30 and the 40 is pretty big. I tried a 30 before I got the boat and thought it wasn't too bad but decided to go for the 40 as I am a pretty big bloke. 40 weighs an extra 20+ kg and seems a lot harder to pull start. (maybe as it is very new still don't know). with elec start I could have it going and steering in the right direction in seconds rather than having to sort myself out after starting. I am just used to bigger boats where you need 2 people min to boat and I figured a smaller tinny would be easy to handle single handed. need more practice I suppose.

Mate dont forget that just because its electric start doesnt mean it will start straight away, they can still cut out and take you a few goes getting it started.

if you like the convienience of tinnys stick with what you have just practice with it a few more outings will have you sorted but if you like car like handling and ease of use sell the tinny and upgrade to a larger more carish vessle itll cost you less in the long run and give you a better boat

in my huimble opinion jason :)

well dagnab I am just going to have to use it more! :P when I look at the places I have launched and the weather at the time I can see trying different ramps might help i.e. deep water bend as opposed to dohles rocks. Already have battery for sounder etc,. I think the next items on the agenda will be a GPS and a foil for the motor to keep things level when on my lonesome.

will definetaly advertise next trip to see if anyone else is keen

thanks for all responses.

Archived