Lets go Kayak off Bribie

username_taken

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Angus wrote:

The profish will have that hole with the bag, plus two more to the kayakers left and right that a bung can be put in and also made air tight. I use on of these for my vauables and one for lunch :P

Angus

I've got a tempo and do use these bags however I have found on those few trips where i have taken a bit of water (usually from the surf etc) that the bag does get a little moist. So I now always use those resealable sandwich bags for camera and mobile. I also have a dry bag I picked up from Anaconda for around $10 to put them in as well, but I seem to leave that sitting on the shelf half the times, luckily I keep a supply of zip lock bags in the car.

I might tag along for this trip to, just need to organise permission from SWMBO.

no but generally ill be drifting and casting not moveing and casting.

ill admit peddling has its advantages BUT,

- still have to back paddle if reverse is needed.

- steering is not very responsive with standard rudder if your trying to peddle out into open water when you hook up.

- generally i only peddle when moving spots and i am not a fan of trolling so peddling isnt really a big issue for me.

- the PROfish has heaps of cool little spots and mouldings perfect for the fisherman.

- Profish moves better than the outback.

PLUS, hobie's fully set up cost about 700 dollars more :o

fishyman comparing a fat barge like the outback to a profish isnt all that fair either, if your in either the adventure or the revo with turbo fins which is built more like the profish size wise the differance can be great. I will admit that in flat conditions with little or no wind and no current paddling is just as easy and efficient but once heading into a stiff breeze or a fast current the mirrage drive comes into its own with all that torque. As for turning, yeh the standard rudder isnt all that great but with the bigger sailing rudder they turn beautifully.

Lee

hey guys,

um i have a question, what poundage line would you recommend for the trip?

i have about 70m of 6lb braid backed with 6lb mono left on one spool of my stradic and nothing on the other spool.

would another spool of 6lb be alright to get or should i go heavier? my rod is only rated to 4lb so i am thinking 6lb should be fine to handle the squire. im just trying to avoid buying 2 spools of braid as im broke at the moment.

so should i go heavier than 6lb or is that enough?

cheers

Tom

fishyman wrote:

hey guys,

um i have a question, what poundage line would you recommend for the trip?

i have about 70m of 6lb braid backed with 6lb mono left on one spool of my stradic and nothing on the other spool.

would another spool of 6lb be alright to get or should i go heavier? my rod is only rated to 4lb so i am thinking 6lb should be fine to handle the squire. im just trying to avoid buying 2 spools of braid as im broke at the moment.

so should i go heavier than 6lb or is that enough?

cheers

Tom

You should be fine with 6lb, some of the guys off Redcliffe are using 4lb for Snapper & bringing them in fine. Just need to watch out you don't cast at any longtails, you could lose all of your braid in a hurry if you hook up to one of those.

Looking at the current forecast on Seabreeze though I don't think we would want to be doing the trip this weekend.

Hey Guys,

As some of you are probabaly aware the weather for this sunday is looking at best lousy.

A little bit of rain hurt no one, as we experienced at Baroon, but 20knots of breeze even in the passage is no fun, let alone mixing that with a swell, the beach where we launch at Bribe, for those who have not been there, the waves break staight on to the beach, and I would expect them to be no less than a metre high. Wind is from the E/SE which will be blowing against the incoming tide early in the morning.

Bribe is pretty sheltered by Morten island, but there will be waves on the beach, in my experienced opinion, will not be suitable for those without decent prior surf experience.

We have a high tide around the 7.30 mark, but there will be resonable tidal flow.

Passage is an option but depending on the wind.

For those borrowing kayaks from me, one has already pulled out, and I have to seriously take into account insurance concerns.

After discussing this with Angus, anyone wanting to go on this trip should check here friday arvo to check if it is still on.

I wish I didn't have to be so much of a downer.

Cheers

Alex

well me and my dad are still keen even if the weather isnt looking that great. as alex said the passage is an option and the creeks that come off their should still be nice and sheltered so we will still be going and hopefully i will still have a yak from alex.

even though i havnt had any surf launch experience i have been studying up this past week on techniques and im pretty confident that with the help of a few kind AFO yakkers i could manage a surf entry and exit pretty good.

if the weather is bad im sure we will be able to get out of the wind and swell by venturing up into a creek or canal or something similar.

the only thing that would prevent me from going to bribie on sunday would be if alex pulled out and i had no more yak :( but at the same time i would probably just go to banksia beach and walk the flats fore flatties, bream and whiting.

i will check here friday arvo but i will be there hell or high water. ive been waiting for this weekend since the thread was started and am starting to get pretty pumped about it.

so me and dad will be there sunday mornign 4:30am.

hopefully we will see you there and hopefully the weather isnt to bad :)

Cheers

Tom

Onya Tommy...I can see it now, you & I standing on the storm ravaged beachfront screaming at King Neptune to deal out his best!!!:laugh:

Just promise me you'll pull the seaweed off my battered corpse and attached a parrachute or something exciting to me!...I'd die of embarrasment if anyone found out I was killed in a Kayak!:P :woohoo:

But in all seriousness...if it's anything more than rainy, i ain't risking it! I'm too 'green':X and too pretty :P to risk squally weather!

it will take 1.5-2m breakers to put me off launching.

As for the bay water, it will take constant breaking/crashing swells or some serious size to put me off.

I've only launched the yak in maybe up to a metre breakers. As was mentioned earlier in the thread, it's a piece of cake to get out.. :) You might get wet, but it's easy to get out.

The Return can sometimes get the adrenaline going. :D

BTW Yakkers who have actually been in surf, light or small here's a question:

Do you find it easier or harder with the rudder down on a return? I personally think the rudder helps if you only get turned a very small angle, but I'm thinking that after a certain point it actuallys causes more grief than good. My current thinking is that it gives the wave an extra thing to push against your kayak in turning it around.

I was thinking about this the other day, If you get turned to the right, you're going to try and turn left with the rudder, which actually faces the rudder to be parallel to the wave, giving it another full edge to push you sideways with.

Do you understand? What's your theory/experience?

Yeah, so you believe the wave does get a hold of your rudder Lee? I think its ok and very useful when paddling out, but no when you paddle in. As you said, you need to use your paddle to straighten up on the return.

Just make sure you put the paddle in the correct side... hahahahaha :blush:

yeh the waves can get hold of the rudder, getting out is easy you might get wet but should make it even in large seas, getting back in is the hard part, the key is to sit just behind the breakers and come in on the back/behind a wave, this means complete commitment paddling flat out so not to be caught by the wave following.

Lee

Yep yep. Although I have seen guys actually riding waves before - like a surfer rides them. That was up at maroochy if you remember when there was that big swell rolling through. I remember James going "Oh no its too big!" :P (sorry mate!) but it was good fun watching guys on yaks/surf skis rowing out then riding the back in.

The time you can come into some trouble is when the wave hits you from behind, the yak can turn sideways and you will most likely roll over.

I actually think the Hobies would handle the surf returns a lot better than a paddle yak, simply because you guys can turn up the speed and maintain that a bit better than a paddle yak.

Archived