Port Authority Ferals

harrystrybos

All this brings up an interesting point though. Look at the popularity of the no fishing pontoon at Newstead. Everyone fishes there because it sits over Deep water. Maybe the council should be building some more fishing platforms in fishier spots. Most of the places to fish around Brisbane are just the pontoons near busy boat ramps. A few dedicated fishing pontoons leading out to deep water near the mouth would be a good idea and stop people from using the ones they aren't supposed to not that anyone seems to mind anyway.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

shortie wrote:

I can see the headlines now:

Man in sardine can.

Man squashed between container ship and jetty yelling its my god given right to be here as he becomes a pancake.

.:P

If you sat there while a ship was docking your brain power would have to be less than that of the peoples making some laws

Malcolm wrote:

shortie wrote:

Man in sardine can.

Man squashed between container ship and jetty yelling its my god given right to be here as he becomes a pancake.

If you sat there while a ship was docking your brain power would have to be less than that of the peoples making some laws

They do exist mate :pinch: I watched one day when a large ship was just docking and the authority guys moved some guys on. They moved about twenty metres (up but not out) and when security moved away the blokes moved back. They would have been a concern for the pilot (maybe not;) ). Of course the security blokes had to come back to them before they eventually left.:blink:

Malcolm wrote:

shortie wrote:

Man in sardine can.

Or your motor wouldnt start. or you couldnt retrieve your anchor quick enough or you were hooked up to a fish or you really want to prove your point.:P

ellicat wrote:

The Colmslie one is all but finished (as of last weekend) Looked like the only thing they needed to do was remove the security gates.

There's deep water within a cast of it. Should be able to pick up some lurkers underneath the boats moored straight in front of it:unsure: :S

Someone told me they sounded around and there isn't much good structure around that new Colmslie one. I guess time will Tell.

harrystrybos wrote:

Angus wrote:
Thats interesting Harry.

Sitting at the BRC weigh in station for 3 days in december i saw heaps of boats get kicked off the wharf opposite Comslie.

Maybe it varies security gaurd to security gaurd.

Angus

Well, there you go:huh: I got that information from the security manager this afternoon. Seems even some of the port guys don't know the rules. Perhaps it's from too much port:lol:

Have a look at: http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/transport/security/maritime/pdf/QLD_brisbane_inset3.pdf

harrystrybos wrote:

harrystrybos wrote:
Angus wrote:
Thats interesting Harry.

Sitting at the BRC weigh in station for 3 days in december i saw heaps of boats get kicked off the wharf opposite Comslie.

Angus

Well, there you go:huh: I got that information from the security manager this afternoon. Seems even some of the port guys don't know the rules. Perhaps it's from too much port:lol:

Have a look at: http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/transport/security/maritime/pdf/QLD_brisbane_inset3.pdf

Finally found all the "naughty" bits:

/>http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/transport/security/maritime/pdf/QLD_brisbane_inset1.pdf
/>http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/transport/security/maritime/pdf/QLD_brisbane_inset2.pdf
/>http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/transport/security/maritime/pdf/QLD_brisbane_inset3.pdf

Happy fishingB)

harrystrybos wrote:

harrystrybos wrote:
harrystrybos wrote:
Angus wrote:
Thats interesting Harry.

Angus

Finally found all the "naughty" bits:

/>http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/transport/security/maritime/pdf/QLD_brisbane_inset1.pdf
/>http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/transport/security/maritime/pdf/QLD_brisbane_inset2.pdf
/>http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/transport/security/maritime/pdf/QLD_brisbane_inset3.pdf

Happy fishingB)

For anybody that cannot read the above links, you need to have Adobe Reader installed.

/>http://www.pdf-format.com/au/index.asp?PID=3936911e-e2fc-46b6-8be0-d1aed1614cf1&gclid=CPqGtqKdw5ECFQacggodQE2DRw

Cheers:dry:

Cheers Harry.

Wasnt doubting you on the call. More pointing out that maybe the port security were "over" reaching their powers. In saying that I understand why they must do what they do.

But as to the docks and wharves not being used, it would be sweet to fish those without always looking over your shoulder :P

Angus

Angus wrote:

Cheers Harry.

Wasnt doubting you on the call. More pointing out that maybe the port security were "over" reaching their powers. In saying that I understand why they must do what they do.

But as to the docks and wharves not being used, it would be sweet to fish those without always looking over your shoulder :P

Angus

Buddy, I could not agree with you more. The most difficult type of legislation is one where we try to legislate against simple stupidity. One of the principal rules in maritime navigation (and, in fact, our whole lives) is to always look around you.

While I don't advocate an exercise in paranoia, I do believe that we all have a responsibility to take care with our actions. The only other alternative is to never leave your bedroom (oh shit, I can think of a rock star or two that even stuffs up that idea)

Angus, I am attending a maritime meeting next week to hopefully address some of the issues that I think are important. My intended suggestions include:

1. Most important, waterways belong to all citizens

2. Change the 30m rule to allow persons to be in proximity to any wharf with the following caveats:

a. The vessel shall never be under a wharf unless the wharf has been declared "out of use".

b. When a ship is berthed at a proscribed wharf, the 30m rule applies

c. When a vessel, in any way other that by acts of nature (events where the captain of the vessel has no control), impedes the docking of a ship at any proscribed wharf, an "on the spot fine" applies.

d. Port Authority has, under "reasonable" circumstance not covered by the above, the right to ask any private vessel to vacate its current area.

e. The Port Authority, may, at any time, in areas where visiblity is impared, request a vessel to move from a proscribed area (eg night time).

f. The Port Authority will display "easily readable" signage on wharves where the above rules apply. This, in fact, appears to be a legislative requirement under the "Maritime Transport and Offshore Facilities Security Act 2003" and various commitments made by the Port Authority to the Government.

Anyway...just a bush lawyer

Harry Strybos

CrayfishMates wrote:

Are you permitted to motor right up to the wharf and hook up a measuring tape and measure out the 30meters because be fucked if I can tell what 30meters looks like from a moving boat.

if you cast to the pylons then your too close how easy is that?

but as someone said if you can't guessimate your distance off things then how do you go with all the distance off rules

i'm really supprised how something so simple as following some rules can be soo hard for some people

not only do we have distance off rules on the water but the road but i guess if you can't follow some simple rules and laws on the water what makes me think you could do the same on the road too!

CrayfishMates wrote:

Are you permitted to motor right up to the wharf and hook up a measuring tape and measure out the 30meters because be fucked if I can tell what 30meters looks like from a moving boat.

Hey, I know it's fun to "shit-stir", however, your point should be taken seriously. How does one determine how far 30m is? We could all be soon required to carry an electronic device to measure the distance. There is not a device I know of that will give an accurate reading from a round object (aka...a pylon)

The whole thing is really a nonsense and I feel sorry for the Port guys having to police this rule.

While I do not support anybody being "under" a wharf in a controlled area, and would consider anchoring in close proximity (less that 30m...and, I know...how do you measure etc) a problem, there is an area of compromise.

What about if genuine anglers (yeah, what are genuine anglers?) permission to be able to drift by wharfes in a controlled area the are not "is use". Flick in a plastic or HB. So, who does this work? Well, jet skis do not comply, neither does any vessel that does not appear to have the intention for genuine amateur fishing. Not a hard one to police.

I may continue with your very valid point by saying that, how does anybody read the security signs (someone has already pointed this out in this group) on a wharf without be closer than 30m (www.portbris.com.au/operations/security/restrictions

It was saddening for me to hear a couple of the comments from members of this group. The one about "your life must be very good if this is all you have to complain about" was particularly disturbing. Do we all sit around and do nothing, or as some have suggested, just ignore their rules until the kick you out?

I am attending the Queensland Government Industry Forum to have my views heard. I have already got mention of this matter this moring on 4BC. The matter will also be brought to the attention of Captain John Watkinson, General Manager, MSQ.

Finally, I am strongly opposed to terrorism and, as an aside, have had a nine year military background in weapons. Believe me, it is not so hard to attack a ship either covertly from underwater or at night. To simply attack an unused wharf requires a huge amount of explosive ordinance (we are talking many tonnes) and many hours of rigging the charges. Why would terrorists take that trouble when it seems easier to hijack an aircraft?

Anyway...good fishing

Kingtin wrote:

CrayfishMates wrote:

if you cast to the pylons then your too close how easy is that?

but as someone said if you can't guessimate your distance off things then how do you go with all the distance off rules

i'm really supprised how something so simple as following some rules can be soo hard for some people

not only do we have distance off rules on the water but the road but i guess if you can't follow some simple rules and laws on the water what makes me think you could do the same on the road too!

You are a lucky person, indeed, to have such excellent judgement skills...if you are to be believed.

"i'm really supprised how something so simple as following some rules can be soo hard for some people"...this is a good one. Do you never break ANY rules? Do use all a favour and look up the word "condescending" in the dictionary.

Your arguement about rules of the road is so appalingingly obtuse as to beggar simple belief. An enormous number of traffic accident are caused by an inablility to judge distance. Luckily, you are not one of these people....groan

harrystrybos wrote:

CrayfishMates wrote:

Hey, I know it's fun to "shit-stir", however, your point should be taken seriously. How does one determine how far 30m is? We could all be soon required to carry an electronic device to measure the distance. There is not a device I know of that will give an accurate reading from a round object (aka...a pylon)

The whole thing is really a nonsense and I feel sorry for the Port guys having to police this rule.

While I do not support anybody being "under" a wharf in a controlled area, and would consider anchoring in close proximity (less that 30m...and, I know...how do you measure etc) a problem, there is an area of compromise.

What about if genuine anglers (yeah, what are genuine anglers?) permission to be able to drift by wharfes in a controlled area the are not "is use". Flick in a plastic or HB. So, who does this work? Well, jet skis do not comply, neither does any vessel that does not appear to have the intention for genuine amateur fishing. Not a hard one to police.

I may continue with your very valid point by saying that, how does anybody read the security signs (someone has already pointed this out in this group) on a wharf without be closer than 30m (www.portbris.com.au/operations/security/restrictions

It was saddening for me to hear a couple of the comments from members of this group. The one about "your life must be very good if this is all you have to complain about" was particularly disturbing. Do we all sit around and do nothing, or as some have suggested, just ignore their rules until the kick you out?

I am attending the Queensland Government Industry Forum to have my views heard. I have already got mention of this matter this moring on 4BC. The matter will also be brought to the attention of Captain John Watkinson, General Manager, MSQ.

Finally, I am strongly opposed to terrorism and, as an aside, have had a nine year military background in weapons. Believe me, it is not so hard to attack a ship either covertly from underwater or at night. To simply attack an unused wharf requires a huge amount of explosive ordinance (we are talking many tonnes) and many hours of rigging the charges. Why would terrorists take that trouble when it seems easier to hijack an aircraft?

Anyway...good fishing

fair enough thats you point of view, i personally have no worries in judging distance. we do it every day when driving and so forth. i does not say you cant fish near the pylons (as far as i know) just you cant be within 30meters of them. i have heard of people coaxing good fish from the pylons with plastics and still keeping with in rules. also did the wharf security measure your distnce from the pylons. 30 meters is a guide. As for everyone sitting around and doing nothing is it that important to fish at those certain pylons where your not ment to be for safety not just terroism?

ive had and will not have any problems with adherering to these rules.

harrystrybos wrote:

You are a lucky person, indeed, to have such excellent judgement skills...if you are to be believed.

"i'm really supprised how something so simple as following some rules can be soo hard for some people"...this is a good one. Do you never break ANY rules? Do use all a favour and look up the word "condescending" in the dictionary.

Your arguement about rules of the road is so appalingingly obtuse as to beggar simple belief. An enormous number of traffic accident are caused by an inablility to judge distance. Luckily, you are not one of these people....groan

maybe i'am lucky but it was part of my job to judge distances and really it is not too hard

if you can visulaise a swimming pool or a footie feild you will already have two mesurements of 50meters and 100meters so if you have a area you can fit three footie fields into you have a distance of about 300meters and no these are not exact these are guessimations

yes i have broken a few laws as too has many people but i have learnt from them and i hope not to again not even speeding once again my life has seen me see alot of death and alot that didn't need to die and seemed to die just so someone can save one minute on the road to get home and that sir is why i'm also hard with distance off rules like the 2second rule with tailgating and why i hate people jumping into a safe area i have to the car in frount of me however i'm more than happy to slow down some more to give myself more space as i know my life is worth alot more than some time or money is worth

personlay i can see what all the fuss is about this is it a case you can only fish in one area or is it because you broke the rules got kicked out and now want the rules change to suit you

just get a life and learn to fish in other parts of our river

but hey it doesn't bother me and personaly the more they lock up the river and bays the happyer i am

Kingtin wrote:

harrystrybos wrote:

maybe i'am lucky but it was part of my job to judge distances and really it is not too hard

if you can visulaise a swimming pool or a footie feild you will already have two mesurements of 50meters and 100meters so if you have a area you can fit three footie fields into you have a distance of about 300meters and no these are not exact these are guessimations

yes i have broken a few laws as too has many people but i have learnt from them and i hope not to again not even speeding once again my life has seen me see alot of death and alot that didn't need to die and seemed to die just so someone can save one minute on the road to get home and that sir is why i'm also hard with distance off rules like the 2second rule with tailgating and why i hate people jumping into a safe area i have to the car in frount of me however i'm more than happy to slow down some more to give myself more space as i know my life is worth alot more than some time or money is worth

personlay i can see what all the fuss is about this is it a case you can only fish in one area or is it because you broke the rules got kicked out and now want the rules change to suit you

just get a life and learn to fish in other parts of our river

but hey it doesn't bother me and personaly the more they lock up the river and bays the happyer i am

C'Mon, its time somebody gave you a hug....I'm ready

CrayfishMates wrote:

hey paul try a laser tape measure or mark of the metres on your line cast a lure at the wharf and wind in till you hit 30:laugh:

hows that kid coming mate it should be done by now you dont want to over cook them :laugh:

jason

10 days out Jason...

I was having a bit of a joke there but obviously not that funny to some. It seems Kingtin is of the opinion I can not skipper all that well. Compared to most of what I have seen on the water, I would think I am doing ok in that department but thanks for your concern mate.

The road rules suggest that we stop 30meters from a railway crossing. Ever judged that distance? Marine suggests 200meters from commercial vessels, in the rain I have trouble seeing that far and at night it is not possible. Then there are the 1mile exclusion zones for ship to ship transfers. I doubt anyone here could judge 1mile on the water with limited reference points.

Road and water are two very different things when it comes to judging distances. We drive on the road every day, objects or obstructions are clearly lit and signed (and when not they stand someone in front of it with a sign) and other moving vessels do not come at you from any direction at any speed. We skipper our boats a few times a year...

I think signage is a valid point, because then just like driving a car, we know exactly where the stop sign is and where to stop. Speaking of signage, we had a run in with the port authorities a few weeks back when I put Kevin on the rock wall at the mouth of the river as the waves were giving him a few hassles. The PA turned up all gruff saying he was trespassing. He pointed to a sign on the end of the water and to read it you had to be on the wall itself. So if signing, they really should think about how far away boaties will be when trying to read it.

harrystrybos wrote:

waldo wrote:
You have got life too good when you have to complain and get upset about little stuff like this Harry. If you weren't aware of the regs and they boarded your boat and took to you with batons before slapping you with a big fine then you would get a bit of sympathy.

Being asked to move along from somewhere you know you shouldn't be? :blink:

While I respect your opinion, I did not know about this rule. Only got my marine license about a month ago. There was no mention of this legislation in the course I did. After making enquires with the Port Authority, not that many other people know about it either. The Port Authority guy I spoke to agreed with me that signage was the answer.

Still seems such an easy problem to solve with a simple sign. Certainly would be much easier for the port guys as well.

I agree - There should be good signage there...

Archived