Port Authority Ferals

harrystrybos

harrystrybos wrote:

CrayfishMates wrote:
Are you permitted to motor right up to the wharf and hook up a measuring tape and measure out the 30meters because be fucked if I can tell what 30meters looks like from a moving boat.

Hey, I know it's fun to "shit-stir", however, your point should be taken seriously. How does one determine how far 30m is? We could all be soon required to carry an electronic device to measure the distance. There is not a device I know of that will give an accurate reading from a round object (aka...a pylon)

The whole thing is really a nonsense and I feel sorry for the Port guys having to police this rule.

While I do not support anybody being "under" a wharf in a controlled area, and would consider anchoring in close proximity (less that 30m...and, I know...how do you measure etc) a problem, there is an area of compromise.

What about if genuine anglers (yeah, what are genuine anglers?) permission to be able to drift by wharfes in a controlled area the are not "is use". Flick in a plastic or HB. So, who does this work? Well, jet skis do not comply, neither does any vessel that does not appear to have the intention for genuine amateur fishing. Not a hard one to police.

I may continue with your very valid point by saying that, how does anybody read the security signs (someone has already pointed this out in this group) on a wharf without be closer than 30m (www.portbris.com.au/operations/security/restrictions

It was saddening for me to hear a couple of the comments from members of this group. The one about "your life must be very good if this is all you have to complain about" was particularly disturbing. Do we all sit around and do nothing, or as some have suggested, just ignore their rules until the kick you out?

I am attending the Queensland Government Industry Forum to have my views heard. I have already got mention of this matter this moring on 4BC. The matter will also be brought to the attention of Captain John Watkinson, General Manager, MSQ.

Finally, I am strongly opposed to terrorism and, as an aside, have had a nine year military background in weapons. Believe me, it is not so hard to attack a ship either covertly from underwater or at night. To simply attack an unused wharf requires a huge amount of explosive ordinance (we are talking many tonnes) and many hours of rigging the charges. Why would terrorists take that trouble when it seems easier to hijack an aircraft?

Anyway...good fishing

A GPS would get you pretty close to an accurate 30 meter's away.

I am not sure if it is an MSQ issue - I would have thought it was a POB issue - same Minister though :)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived