small-medium sharks

jared1111

hey all. after going fishing for a few months now ive decided to try and catch my first ever bull shark. ive had a few well.. sad attempts at catching them and all the times ive ither snapped my line or missed them completely so i decided to ask someone who has a bit of knowledge.

at the moment im using a small overhead reel with about 90-120meters of 40lb mono. for the leader i wasnt sure what to use. i got a homemade wire trace that is 7strand 60lb and is just under 1 meter long and for hooks im just using 2 of ur average red size 4/0 octopus hooks. all in all its not a good rig but im not aiming for anything over 3ft max.

so yea please post any tips you have on rigs or wot setup i should use ect ect.

also if any1 has any good tips on bait that would be helpfull to :cheer: . cheers

Live herring or mullet in the river, live legal sized tailor/bream/whiting all work just as well if you can get them - bigger live baits are generally left alone by the catties. i have used catties before, they work, but not as good as the others.

just because you don't want something big, doesn't mean it won't happen as there are some quite large sharks in the river. it would be better to drop your poundage down and increase capacity - 300m of 15-20 pound will stop anything under 6ft if you play it, go with braid if you can afford it, capacity will get better again. (try ebay guys - 40 bucks will get you 300m of 20 pound braid easily :woohoo: - you'll never use mono again). imagine swimming with a 15-20 pound brick hanging off your mouth. you'd wear out pretty quick. :laugh: it's more fun anyway!!! :laugh: nylon coated wire is the go and double crimp each end, double your knots when you tie them (standard knot with the line folded over to make it so you are tying the knot with a double strand of line - essential with braid) and hang on for the ride!!!! :laugh:

if you up for it and the weather improves soon :angry: i'm forever looking for keen crew on a friday/sat night shark adventure to the mouth or the river.

"how exactly are you breaking 40 lb line on a fish? I find getting 30 lb of a snag is hard enough work! "

yea my bad i forgot to mention i was using 20lb braid on the other attempts. braid doesnt have a stretch level so it just snaps when u pull back to hook the sharks.

"if you up for it and the weather improves soon i'm forever looking for keen crew on a friday/sat night shark adventure to the mouth or the river."

if that is an invite lol id looooove to come. parentals wont let me out past 7 tho.. not kool :(

btw pinkey thanks for the advice :D

jared1111 wrote:

"how exactly are you breaking 40 lb line on a fish? I find getting 30 lb of a snag is hard enough work! "

yea my bad i forgot to mention i was using 20lb braid on the other attempts. braid doesnt have a stretch level so it just snaps when u pull back to hook the sharks.

you don't need to rip their teeth out to set the hook, if so, sharpen your hooks. then just use the drag to set the hook, have it set to about half breaking strain then just lean back on the rod. don't jerk it hard, you'll quite often you pull the hook free. i use braid for all my fishing and don't ever have snappages like you're describing.

jared1111 wrote:

i had never had the problem with good braid. make sure the braid'd not cheap, not weared and ur knot's strong and 20lb will be nearly impossible to break on estuary rods.

i need to use some cloth to warp around my hand to break the 20lb braid when i get snagged, or u'll see my hand bleeding all day.:blush:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

well i fish out in the moreton bay and the gold coast i tent to catch a shark with a single hook and a wire trace which help when they come to the boat. and my line are 50lb main line and no leader just it goes straight to the wire trace about under 1meter as u said. but 40lb is great

bait i tent to spend about an hour catching my bait fish and use like yellow and slimy mackeral for skarky and yeah it work where i fish at night for hammer or in the morning for whaler

Archived