Kayaking Offshore Sunday 24th

pcsolutionman

Ok Terry, Paul and I are looking to head out to a couple of reefs out off currimundi, raper shoal then currimundi reef. it will be a surf launch with a minimum 6Km paddle each way, so semi experienced paddlers only please. theres a whole host of species on offer, everything from snapper to cobia, kingies, mackeral etc.

heres the planed route

[img size=300]http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb161/pcsolutionman/googleearth-1.jpg

and at this stage the weather gods are shining down on us with favourable conditions :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

[img size=499]http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb161/pcsolutionman/weather.jpg

Lee

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lee would you say by semi-experienced you mean someone who feels comfortable in a kayak and comfortable with attempting a surf launch. As opposed to someone with some surf experience?

I'd like to see more people attending, and I'm sure those who feel comfortable at giving it a go could get some pointers from those attending. However I'd like to clearly illustrate that:

Whilst I haven't been to currimundi exactly, only a bit further north at perigian and south and kings...

By all means, this is a surf launch. There is risk and danger involved. I would highly recommend a life jacket to anyone considering going.

That said - I'm excited! Hopefully the weather gods stay on our side, and the fishing gods come to play too!

thats exactly right terry, new comers to surf launch are welcome however some experience in your yak really is essential. you must also be aware that there are risks involved with surf launches.

you must have a life jacket, plenty of water, and be prepared to get wet. all gear should be either stowed or tethered or risk loosing it all.

Lee

um...Awesome? I'm lost for words (at least, ones allowable on the site)

I'm extremely excited now. :woohoo:

Edit: Just for further information:

Anyone considering going, please note that if we paddle home from Currimundi, it will be about 5km paddle, which could take up to an hour depending on the conditions. Although, given the wind - I would say about 30 minutes.

Yeah yeah.

At least I'll have my GPS mount. So I wont be fishing completely blind :D I'll get you to mark some spots for me so I know roughly where things are haha.

I might have my sounder by then, but I'd be rushing it into service if I was to use it Sunday. I'd rather give it plenty of time to do the install and then allow the sikaflex to set.

I've heard people have had success putting the transducer in a ziplock back full of water inside the hull, you could try that if you get it before the weekend... saves waiting for the sikka to dry.

I'd love to come out, but I'd probably be pushing my luck with she who must be obeyed. Will see how the rest of the week pans out. I'd probably slow you fellas down paddling though, and the leccy probably wouldn't enjoy a beach launch.

Angus wrote:

Mate im working all weekend. But good luck! I am looking very forward to this report.

Brian: Mate after your practice on the weekend you should be a goer :)

Angus

Thanks Angus, very tempting but I'm not ready yet nor is the yak. I'll finish the fit out, grab a jacket and maybe ready for the next one. Have fun Lee and others - hope you get heaps of smackers.

Im' too lazy to think of an anchor right now:P I'm sure with some thin rope/string and any disposable weight or even a sandbag I could make a anchor. What's better is I could tie a bottle to it, so that when a fish strikes instead of bringing it up I just cut it free from my yak and can come pick it up afterwards.

Archived