Nice morning at the Gunn Jetty

Do$tylz

Hey all,

So, finally after 2 worthless fishing trips, I finally have something partially worth writing up about other than Chuck Norris jokes :)

Headed down the the Gunn Jetty at 4am Sat morning. Met up with my brother and 3 mates there who were already there with lines in the water. We used live herring and kept getting hit but no hook ups. I had my herring pounded by something, pulled it back in to see 2 sizeable bites taken out of its body.... 1 of them just millimeters away from my hook. Bugger.

Anyway, sun came up with no fish landed. What a beautiful morning it was. Saw some baitfish getting attacked a few meters off the jetty so I grabbed one of our mates plastics set up (trion with a medalist on it) and flicked out a 3" pink paddletail (I think it was one of those starlo and bushies plastics) and after 2 flicks of the wrist I was onto a nice 40ish-cm flattie. Woot :woohoo: , best fish I've ever caught on a plastic. Unfortunately he absolutely inhaled the plastic and the damage was already done to him, so my brother took it home for dinner with his g/f.

Got the fever of plastics after that so had a flick again, parallel to the pontoon a few times, and was onto a little fingermark. Measured around 20cm, what a little trooper. He fought pretty well for his size.

Anyway.. that was about it. I think my brother pulled up a 20cm fingermark as well at some point during the morning. No trevs like we were hoping for but still a good trip. Was back at home by 7:30am... just enough time to wash my car (with tank water) before it got insanely hot. Does anyone else not enjoy washing their car with a bucket?? The days of hosing down your car are just an old memory now :(

Heading back there tonight from 7:30 if anyone is keen to come along. :) [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/23022008434_AFO.jpg

post-873-144598445093_thumb.jpg

ok.. just ran up to the fit out guys in my building, coz no one here had a bloody ruler. So grabbed their measuring tape. Shoulda' seen the wierd looks some of them gave me when I was measuring between my elbow and fingers.

Anyway.... 42. WOOT. I'm ok. Was feeling pretty bad for a while. Gonna have to invest in a brag mat real soon.

i have cut a small notch on the grip of my main rod at 23cm (whiting and bream), 30cm (tailor) 35cm (squire) and 40cm (flathead). makes life pretty easy if i don't have a ruler. i wasn't implying that your flattie was undersized, it looked about 40-ish to me. the easy way to tell a dusky flathead is to look at the tail. spread it out and if it has a dot on it, it's a dusky. stripes mean it is a sandie or bar tailed (30cm legal size), but you won't find them in too many places with mud, usually along the beaches. check grant's guide if you have one - you'll see what i mean. B)

Nice Flatty mate:) It's always good to get a decent fish on a lure:)

If you are uncertain of the different Flathead species (I have nearly no idea:S), just make sure all of them fit into the 40-70cm slot limit. A Flathead under 40cm doesn't have much meat on it, and I think that Dusky's are the only ones that get over 70cm:S Not sure on that though so don't quote me:)

Archived