Wello Point Yakker and Boaters 16th and 23rd March

Angus

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

fisheyman, dawn each day. So like um, 5:30.. approx.

Wello point boat ramp. Google map it, its easy to find.

Easiest tactic: paddle out the boat chanel to fartherest marker (500m meters approc) and turn left or right. Reef edge is all along there. Easiest thing to do is watch the boaters with sounder (but they all hang arounf the same marker). There are fish anywhere along the reef drop off so i like to drift.

Gear: Well it depends. Are you going for lots of fun or 1 or 2 quality (not gaurunteed). Last time i was there i fished with Chubbstar. I would have caught 30 + squire. All tiny though. Was using bream set up and prawns.

The time before that my dad was using an octopus (from the supermarket) for bait. Caught 1 snapper (proper bump on its head) a couple of legal squire (which he released thinking snapper had to be way bigger) and 48cm estuary cod.

Funniest thing way it was all on the same occy bait. Its like a soft plastic with super realistic scent hahaha.

Aside from that first hand experience, a lot of people bag out on legal squire with plastics. I think its more timing, the earlier the better (although dads big one was caught later in the day).

Long story short. We are still very much sussing this reef. Experiments wont hurt.

Angus

I've fished there quite a bit now. So heres some tips.

Yakers= sorry ya on ya own:P :(

Boaties = As Angus has said find the reef, throw over the pick and burley up. I have found this works a treat and can make a big difference between a nice haul or bugger all. I mainly use bait there, but berley would work with SP's also IMO. It seams to bring the fish from all over to you;)

Prawns and Squid are a good bait and will catch Bream, Squire and Grassie's. I find Pillys dont last long because of all the pickers.

I'm hopeing to put my head in sometime on the second Sunday.

I may have a deckie spot up for grabs, I'll also be looking at going to Harrie's Reef first till around 10am, but that depends on the weather.:dry:

Jayson

my next few weekends are looking rather boring so i may do something similar to chubbstar with my boat; hit harries or N side of peel early and come back to tow the yak boys home in the late morning/afternoon. :P

depends on weather, if it is really good i'll be outside... or really crap i'll be in bad with a hangover :P :laugh: :silly: dunno about everyone else but i have had just about enough of these dam SE'ers!!!!!:angry:

Edited this post, retyped it all.

Sorry to hijack your thread Angus.

Harries is a 9km paddle from Wellington Point. Apparently it has the usual snapper, sweetlip, mackeral, parrot fish

Peel Artificial Reef is 4-5km paddle from Raby Bay region. Apparently this place has the usual snapper, sweetlip etc and pelagics.

Angus, any chance you'd be keen for peel artificial reef on the 23rd? Weather permitting. If not, I'll see you at wello:laugh:

chubbstar wrote:

I've fished there quite a bit now. So heres some tips.

Yakers= sorry ya on ya own:P :(

Boaties = As Angus has said find the reef, throw over the pick and burley up. I have found this works a treat and can make a big difference between a nice haul or bugger all. I mainly use bait there, but berley would work with SP's also IMO. It seams to bring the fish from all over to you;)

Prawns and Squid are a good bait and will catch Bream, Squire and Grassie's. I find Pillys dont last long because of all the pickers.

I'm hopeing to put my head in sometime on the second Sunday.

I may have a deckie spot up for grabs, I'll also be looking at going to Harrie's Reef first till around 10am, but that depends on the weather.:dry:

Jayson

Jayson

Whats your boat rego mate or what is your boat. Wouldn't mind drifting through that burley trail on the yak with soft palstics.B)

Just regarding the wind, most times ive been there the wind doesnt seem to pick up rill about 9 or 10. And as most of us will be there at dawn,(ill be there about 430-445), that'll give us a few good hours of fishing, then we can come back for an early BBq, head home a little sooner.

I'll be there with the boat, so if any needs help yakking back to sure i can tow ya.

Also with the bait, coles/woolies baby octpus seems to do well there. And the damn stuff is hard for the little buggers to steel it! I think it was Angus's dad that used pretty much the same the octupus all day, and thats with catching squire. cod and other fishies.

Well I hope you guys have fun - I will need to work both days on the weekend to get things like Feb figures finished, new lease agreements drawn up, report for members on gaming viability, new assest realisation from WIP and reclassifaction of old assets, berth sales report, report on demographics of our Members, and the crap goes on on on - so like I say have fun.:angry:

Brian D wrote:

Well I hope you guys have fun - I will need to work both days on the weekend to get things like Feb figures finished, new lease agreements drawn up, report for members on gaming viability, new assest realisation from WIP and reclassifaction of old assets, berth sales report, report on demographics of our Members, and the crap goes on on on - so like I say have fun.:angry:

Sounds like you have a very interesting job Brian :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

TerryH wrote:

Sounds fun brian.

WIP? What WIP do you guys have o_O

Sorry to hijack the thread but good question TH.

When we do a large capital project that takes longer then one accounting period I leave the progressive payments in WIP for a couple of reasons, one being that I can't apply any depreciation as the asset is not being used yet, the other is I hate doing add ons in the AR. WE have just completed a 3.6mil marina extension and Feb is the 1st month of deprec.

The other WIP we have is in the hardstand with uncompleted work on boats but this is a simple thing.

If, during your studies you want to visit I would be more then happy to take you through our accounting process, as long as you bring your yak and we have a go at the bream hanging around.

Of which I an still working this weekend but I will be taking my yak for dawn breaming.

Hmmm so a victm to the w(h)ip hey :P

Just to reiterate guys, ill be there sun, hail or snow. But if it is truly distasterous, Ill be heading arounf the conrner to tingalpa creek to chase flatties and school jew.

I just thought id throw that out as it may effect what else you take in your tackle box.

Angus

Ash wrote:

Apart from a spot or 2 of rain, things are looking good for sunday. Cant wait! So wanna get some squire, or big cod.

Hey Angus, is your dad coming again? He cleaned up last time from memory!

No Ash mores the pitty. He did do well there last time with a good propper snapper and a cod.

Angus

i tested out my profish again today going sharking in the river, no luck unfortuntly :(

But i did get to test its stability when stupid wakeboarders where going past about 10m away :angry: it handles wake very well side and front on and paddles like a demon, only thing i have done is started to use the paddle that comes with my hobie as i like it a bit better.

i cant wait for sunday, should be great.

just a question, how many of you are gonna use SP's/HB's and who is gonna use bait? and would it be worth while to burley?

Ok guys sorry to say this but im not going to be at wello.

Good and bad news.

Bad new is, well im not going to be at wello :P

Good news is a space freed up on the Gold coast charter so I pounced on it. Im hoping after the last one they up their anti and take us the their secret spots :)

I am still looking very forward to the wello report. Murphy's law haunts me so I am half expecting to see all these amazing fish caught at wello while i manage a few small moses haha.

Angus

Archived